Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThatSlyBasstard

Sleep is for the Weak

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

So I've mad it a habit to not sleep for multiple days at a time, either because of fishing in the morning, or fishing all night the night before and waking up so late that I'm just not tired the next night.

Anyone else do this? Or have any other sleeping pattern that was messed up because of fishing?

If your going around the clock for a couple days without sleeping I'd guess your in your 20's or 30's. Used to do it myself all the time back then. Not now, hit 50-60 and you just can't do it. You want to, but you fall apart after a while.

Only problem with going without sleep is that it robs you of common sense and motor skills. Do it often enough and you'll fall on slippery rocks, run your boat up on a sandbar, or with some unfortunate folks, the sleep deprevation will trigger a nervous breakdown.

i believe you need your sleep,

regardless

sleep you miss during the week will catch up to you eventually,

couple weeks ago i went 24 hrs without sleep,

driving +700 miles(roundtrip), returning to go fishing all night,

had a great time,

felt great all week,

until the following weekend,

basically couldnt function. had to make up that lost sleep,

even though it took 1 week to catch to me,

Even if you miss 1 hr sleep a night, sleeping 6 hrs when your body wants 7 hrs,

will have to make it up sometime,

View PostSo I've mad it a habit to not sleep for multiple days at a time, either because of fishing in the morning, or fishing all night the night before and waking up so late that I'm just not tired the next night.

Anyone else do this? Or have any other sleeping pattern that was messed up because of fishing?

Sleep deprivation and surfcasting is nothing new nor is uncommon sleeping patterns. Takes getting used to. Its not for everyone

It's more advantageous to alter your sleep pattern but maintain it rather than go without.

Years ago I would sleep in two cycles; once from 5 or 6 AM to 9 AM and then from 1 PM until 4 or 5 PM. On most days the total number of hours was around six that I was asleep. I maintained this for a few years and did very well with it.

Once you get into a pattern you can tweak it and see how you respond.

I can function normally if I can get in 4 hours of sleep, be it during the day or night, 4 seems to be my magic number. I can usually pull 2 or 3 all nighters and go without sleep for 2 or 3 days once a month without becoming a zombie. Eating right and exercising seems to have a lot to do recovering faster too for me at least, granted I am only 26.

View PostAnyone else do this? Or have any other sleeping pattern that was messed up because of fishing?

every weekend... usually start fishing Friday night until the AM on Sunday... i'm usually all F'd up every Sunday and Monday... but you kinda get used to it.... that and taking naps at rest-stations along the highway...biggrin.gif

A common scenario for me is:

Sleep from 9 - midnight; Fish from 12:30 am to 3:30 am; Then sleep from 4 -7 am; Then go to work. Luckily my job is such that I can take frequent naps in the car in case I need an extra hour or 2 of sleep.

When fishing is really good I have been known to go 3-4 days with very little or no sleep. But I really try to stay away from that because lack of sleep is very bad for your health regardless of your age. Your heart, brain and all the the other organs need sleep to function properly.

View PostSo I've mad it a habit to not sleep for multiple days at a time, either because of fishing in the morning, or fishing all night the night before and waking up so late that I'm just not tired the next night.

Do you have a job that requires thinking?

View Postevery weekend... usually start fishing Friday night until the AM on Sunday... i'm usually all F'd up every Sunday and Monday... but you kinda get used to it.... that and taking naps at rest-stations along the highway...biggrin.gif

Thats exactly my schedule except every three days fish nonstop with zero breaks from fri evening to sun night then sleep from monday morning to late monday evening, get up make rigs and fish from late monday to late wed evening and start the process all over again.The thing that really wipes me out physically is that i never put my rod down and i walk endless miles nonstop the entire time.I guess thats why i always fish alone even the most hardcore usually take a break.