Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paco

?Register a 12' Jon boat?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I had just bought a 12' Jon boat (old Game Fisher...Sears) with an electric trolling motor, it was never registered, it came without any papers, the person that I bought it from is a real stand-up guy, so I know it's not HOT! I understand that as long as it has any motor on it, (electric or gas) it has to be registered! First, is this true? Second, is there some was of making it legal/registered so I'm not hassled. it does have serial # on the hull. no trailer, just the Jon boat. thank you, Paco

View PostI had just bought a 12' Jon boat (old Game Fisher...Sears) with an electric trolling motor, it was never registered, it came without any papers, the person that I bought it from is a real stand-up guy, so I know it's not HOT! I understand that as long as it has any motor on it, (electric or gas) it has to be registered! First, is this true? Second, is there some was of making it legal/registered so I'm not hassled. it does have serial # on the hull. no trailer, just the Jon boat. thank you, Paco

A 10' bass boat with no docs,

Yes it has to be registered.

First step is getting a HIN hull identification#

That is done by calling state police marine bureau.

They come to your location and issue the HIN.

To register you will need statement of ownership from previous owner. Can get it online. And some statement of transfer.

Problem I had at dmv was year of boat being unknown, after 30 minutes and 3 supervisors later they detrmined year f boat as being first year registered.

Even though the boat is +10 yrs old docs ave it listed as 2009.

Need further help I can pull up the actual forms I used at dmv

You say it's older.. If the boat is older than 1973 it does not need an MSO.. (Hint, Hint) If the is no capacity plate/HIN it is likely older.. as far as DMV is concerned anyway..