wikileaks and 90,000+ documents

Rate this topic

eddy

"In releasing this information from Afghanistan he's released tactical-level information- information which has detailed descriptions of individual events and don't affect the overall strategic picture. Everyone already knows the casualty figures from Afghanistan. Everyone already knows civilians have been killed in unfortunate incidents. Everyone knows war isn't a pleasant experience that shouldn't be taken lightly. To the general public this isn't new information which will surprise people.

To the Taliban however this is a goldmine which will allow them to adjust and improve their own TTP's in regards to the effectiveness of their attacks. The reason details of incidents involving casualties and deaths are so closely held to the chest is to deny the enemy a way in which to evaluate their own performance."

Not my words but it pretty much nails it.

Informants will be rounded up and shot.

Villages that aided coalition forces will be attacked/massacred.

The Taliban will learn about what types of tactics work and which types don't.

The Taliban will learn what information we know about their internal workings, leading to them to make changes to avoid further compromising OP SEC.

The Taliban will learn how we counter their tactics, and make changes accordingly.

The Taliban will learn how to better target US convoys by learning about our countermeasures and evasive tactics.

View Post"In releasing this information from Afghanistan he's released tactical-level information- information which has detailed descriptions of individual events and don't affect the overall strategic picture. Everyone already knows the casualty figures from Afghanistan. Everyone already knows civilians have been killed in unfortunate incidents. Everyone knows war isn't a pleasant experience that shouldn't be taken lightly. To the general public this isn't new information which will surprise people.

To the Taliban however this is a goldmine which will allow them to adjust and improve their own TTP's in regards to the effectiveness of their attacks. The reason details of incidents involving casualties and deaths are so closely held to the chest is to deny the enemy a way in which to evaluate their own performance."

Not my words but it pretty much nails it.

Informants will be rounded up and shot.

Villages that aided coalition forces will be attacked/massacred.

The Taliban will learn about what types of tactics work and which types don't.

The Taliban will learn what information we know about their internal workings, leading to them to make changes to avoid further compromising OP SEC.

The Taliban will learn how we counter their tactics, and make changes accordingly.

The Taliban will learn how to better target US convoys by learning about our countermeasures and evasive tactics.

frown.gif

View PostSomeone needs to be executed for treason.

Scooter Libby ?

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

View Postsomewhere in a prison cell Scooter

If only, bush pardoned that traitor in less than 24 hours didn't he ?

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

View PostIf only, bush pardoned that traitor in less than 24 hours didn't he ?

You're right about Libby not being in prison but Bush didn't actually pardon him. When Libby's appeal failed in 2007 he did however commute the 30 month federal prison sentence component of Libby's sentence but the two years supervised release including 400 hour community service and $250.000 fine components of the sentence remained in place. To this day Libby remains a convicted felon.

View Posthmmmmmmm,

an Australian working to discredit Obama,

where have I heard this before?

I'm guessing the other one you're talking about is Rupert Murdoch. I actually don't think either of them's prime agenda is to to discredit Obama. Murdoch's agenda is to simply make as much money for his News Corporation company as possible and if taking a right wing political stance and attempting to discredit Obama is the most convenient way to achieve that then so be it.

I think Julian Assange's agenda is quite different in that he wishes to expose and discredit governments that are corrupt, kill and torture people around the planet, steal from and exploit people including their own for their own personal gain and that of their close knit political cronies and lie to people to preserve their own power and protect their wealth.

If that's his agenda I don't have much problem with that.

View PostWe get treated like mushrooms by our govt and when someone releases info that sheds light on all the BS we've been told the reaction is to string up the person that brought it to light.

I certainly don't agree with putting troops in harms way by releasing classified info, but to see the info so we can clearly see how much fertilizer we've been fed since the start of the Afgan war is our right IMO. We need to know how much we are being lied to - how else do you try and counter it?

This is pretty much on the money. There seems to be little in these papers that wasn't pretty much common knowledge already such as the Pakistani intelligence service links with the Taliban. The real revelation is that the military and government were knowingly falsifying accounts of Afghan civilian casualties for Western public consumption. As far as providing information to the enemy goes I'm sure the local Afghanis already have a pretty good idea of how many innocent villagers are being killed by foreign troops while the Taliban are more than capable of assessing how successful their attacks are and have their own information gathering networks. Get real - they've lived there for generations - they certainly don't need the US military to tell them what's going on in their own backyard.

What emerges from these papers is that the only people being kept in the dark about what's really going on in Afghanistan is us.

It's a good thing that 99.4% of all tali's are illiterate. shakehead.gif

Leaked War Files Expose Identities of Afghan Informants

Published July 27, 2010 | Times of London

Hundreds of Afghan lives have been put at risk by the leaking of 90,000 intelligence to WikiLeaks because the files identify informants working with NATO forces.

In just two hours of searching the WikiLeaks archive, The Times of London found the names of dozens of Afghans credited with providing detailed intelligence to U.S. forces. Their villages are given for identification and also, in many cases, their fathers' names.

U.S. officers recorded detailed logs of the information fed to them by named local informants, particularly tribal elders.

View Post

I'm guessing the other one you're talking about is Rupert Murdoch. I actually don't think either of them's prime agenda is to to discredit Obama. Murdoch's agenda is to simply make as much money for his News Corporation company as possible and if taking a right wing political stance and attempting to discredit Obama is the most convenient way to achieve that then so be it.

I disagree,

taking a right wing stance isn't the "most convenient way" for him,

it's the ONLY way.

in his vast media empire his message is consistent,

he's not changing it to find niche markets.

his message is VERY focused.

Eggy 10-13

LAA 7-14

50-50 2-15

Unlike the current main stream reporting of sugar and spice and all things nice about Obama, Fox reports the other side as well.

This is what Obama's koolaid drinkers find unpalatable.

Politicians and diapers should be changed often and regularly,  invariably for the same reason.

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."
Attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

View PostSo what classified information should be released to the public?

I would say nearly anything that proves that the government is lying and in engaged in activity that's illegal.

Tired of being lied to by these people. Oh no, it's a very clean war - remember all the video of smart bombs hitting their targets? No colletral damage on the news, but gee we did miss and kill civilians.

In any war civilians will get killed and IMO american lives are worth more, but don't BS about it. War is hell, call it out for what it is. Don't try to sell it as santized for our 'protection'

View PostI disagree,

taking a right wing stance isn't the "most convenient way" for him,

it's the ONLY way.

in his vast media empire his message is consistent,

he's not changing it to find niche markets.

I tend to agree with you here as far as the States goes but in recent years in the UK Murdoch supported the Labour Party rather than promote the agenda of the far right of the Tory party. I certainly agree that he doesn't change his stance to find niche markets but he does adapt his stance according to what is the more populist position in order to maximise corporate turnover. I do not believe that Rupert Murdoch is as personally ideologically wedded to the far right as you may think.

Back in Australia in the early 70's Murdoch switched his allegiance from the more right wing Liberal/Country Party coalition to the opposition Labour Party which was swept to power largely on a wave of opposition to the Vietnam war. Murdoch saw the writing on the wall concerning the war and changed camps.

You may find it amusing to know that when Rupert Murdoch was in England studying at Oxford University his father, the newspaper magnate Sir Keith Murdoch wrote to his close associate the conservative Australian Prime Minister Sir Robert Menzies expressing concerns regarding the left wing tendencies young Rupert was developing at Oxford. In retrospect it seems he really didn't have a lot to worry about.

View PostScooter Libby ?

what did he do?

"Ok, Eddy you were right" - minivin5
"Oddly enough, Eddy is right fairly often"- TimS

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish

View Postwhat did he do?

Libby was indicted by a federal grand jury in connection with the investigation of the leak of the covert identity of Central Intelligence Agency officer Valerie Plame Wilson. Plame's relationship with the CIA was formerly classified information. Libby was indicted on five counts relating to the Plame affair: Two counts of perjury, two counts of making false statements to federal investigators, and one count of obstruction of justice.

Libby was sentenced to 30 months in federal prison, a fine of $250,000, and two years of supervised release, including 400 hours of community service and was ordered to begin his sentence immediately. When about a month later Libby's appeal failed, President GW Bush commuted Libby's 30-month prison sentence, leaving the other parts of his sentence intact.