Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mizzle

What is the power of 10.5' Legend Rod

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Sorry all, I know the power is medium for 10.5' Legend (3/4oz ~4oz). Plz forgive me following silly question.

Last fall run I fished with my friend at montauk, who is a great angler and caught over 100 stipers under the light house during 5 days. His setup is Lami 1321M and VS 250. He told me he alway lifted the fish directly from rock if the fish is under 30'. I know the 1321M is pretty stiff and has lot of power, but it seems the power is rated as Medium.

I am planning on fishing montauk again or some rocky area and jetty in RI, just wondering what is the biggest fish you ever lifted with rod from the rock. Really dont want to take too much risk to get down to land the fish especially in windy days.

One more question is I reay lots of post review the 10.5' Legend(3/4oz~4z) is a casting machine and many owner say they can cast a mile with this rod.

What is the maximum distance your guys can reach with SS little popper or Kastmaster? I mean the actually distance, not from the estimate.

132 1M's are not all that stiff---it's a relatively parabolic rod. I wouldn't try to lift a fish bigger than a small keeper with one. And I wouldn't try to lift even a 28" fish with a 3/4 to 4 rated Legend.

After you land the fish--are you going to release it by tossing it back in from 20' above the waves? Clear of the rocks at the base of the porch under the Light? Into the face of a 6 footer that smashes it back against the rocks?

Montauk and jetties are snotty during a heave. It's tough to safely land and release a fish under those conditions. Even jetties like Moriches can be nasty with a SE or SW wind and an incoming tide. You have to have a mental plan for landing a big fish before you start casting. At Moriches, at least, the bars at the mouth of the inlet coupled with an outgoing current can knock down the heave--better to fish the drop under those conditions. The Lighthouse produces best on the incoming, and those waves can splash people standing on the top shelf. If it's too snotty to go down and land a fish, you probably shouldn't be fishing there. Even experienced guys can get hurt there in a heave.

Get Korkers, and land and release the fish the right way. You're going to have to climb down and grab one 40"--no rod is going to lift a 20+ pound bass. If it's too rough, fish Scott's, Jones or Turtle Cove instead. Scott's can produce just as well as under the Light.

Back during the moratorium, when all fishing was C&R, guys would walk the fish from the Lighthouse rocks over to Scott's to release them.

Every caster is different & there is no telling how long you will be able to cast the rod. You could have the best rod in the world but it won't cast any futher than the one who casts it.

Just like anything else the best gear in the world won't catch fish. Fisherman catch fish.

I will say it does cast nice but it's a different concept & not for everyone.

I have both the Legend & Mojo I like them both. I also Like my Tica!

Mizzle, you shouldnt be lifting any fish with your rod. Not only can it break your rod but imagine the speed that 2 oz. bucktail will be coming at your face if that fish gets unhooked. IMHO you are asking for trouble. If you cant safely land a fish you should find a different spot. GL bud

View PostSorry all, I know the power is medium for 10.5' Legend (3/4oz ~4oz). Plz forgive me following silly question.

Last fall run I fished with my friend at montauk, who is a great angler and caught over 100 stipers under the light house during 5 days. His setup is Lami 1321M and VS 250. He told me he alway lifted the fish directly from rock if the fish is under 30'. I know the 1321M is pretty stiff and has lot of power, but it seems the power is rated as Medium.

I am planning on fishing montauk again or some rocky area and jetty in RI, just wondering what is the biggest fish you ever lifted with rod from the rock. Really dont want to take too much risk to get down to land the fish especially in windy days.

One more question is I reay lots of post review the 10.5' Legend(3/4oz~4z) is a casting machine and many owner say they can cast a mile with this rod.

What is the maximum distance your guys can reach with SS little popper or Kastmaster? I mean the actually distance, not from the estimate.

I dont think your going to get many responses to that question because i dont think most guys care and i certainly wouldnt count on getting exact measurements.The thing most guys care about is if it can get the job done and you probably know that answer from reading the reviews.

View PostMizzle, you shouldnt be lifting any fish with your rod. Not only can it break your rod but imagine the speed that 2 oz. bucktail will be coming at your face if that fish gets unhooked. IMHO you are asking for trouble. If you cant safely land a fish you should find a different spot. GL bud

That statement right there should keep you from lifting a fish with your rod. It does happen. Believe me...... it happensredface.gif

Thanks man for your input, I was thinking fishing at Scott's instead the rocky area when it is too windy,No need to take a risk for a fish.

I heard some guys land lots of big fish at this spot, I guess it will be much easier to handle a big cow.

View Post132 1M's are not all that stiff---it's a relatively parabolic rod. I wouldn't try to lift a fish bigger than a small keeper with one. And I wouldn't try to lift even a 28" fish with a 3/4 to 4 rated Legend.

After you land the fish--are you going to release it by tossing it back in from 20' above the waves? Clear of the rocks at the base of the porch under the Light? Into the face of a 6 footer that smashes it back against the rocks?

Montauk and jetties are snotty during a heave. It's tough to safely land and release a fish under those conditions. Even jetties like Moriches can be nasty with a SE or SW wind and an incoming tide. You have to have a mental plan for landing a big fish before you start casting. At Moriches, at least, the bars at the mouth of the inlet coupled with an outgoing current can knock down the heave--better to fish the drop under those conditions. The Lighthouse produces best on the incoming, and those waves can splash people standing on the top shelf. If it's too snotty to go down and land a fish, you probably shouldn't be fishing there. Even experienced guys can get hurt there in a heave.

Get Korkers, and land and release the fish the right way. You're going to have to climb down and grab one 40"--no rod is going to lift a 20+ pound bass. If it's too rough, fish Scott's, Jones or Turtle Cove instead. Scott's can produce just as well as under the Light.

Back during the moratorium, when all fishing was C&R, guys would walk the fish from the Lighthouse rocks over to Scott's to release them.

Thanks buddy, total forget this point. I guess I will pay more attention when I am landing a fish.

View PostMizzle, you shouldnt be lifting any fish with your rod. Not only can it break your rod but imagine the speed that 2 oz. bucktail will be coming at your face if that fish gets unhooked. IMHO you are asking for trouble. If you cant safely land a fish you should find a different spot. GL bud