Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joey T

Freshwater Fishing in MA: How Do You Rate it?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

View PostI find this freshwater fishing season to be less productive and active. Correct me if I'm wrong/ =/ Charles River doesnt produce much for me.

What section of Charles? Watertown to Boston? Waltham to Watertown? Medifeild to Waltham?

People fish fresh water when there's no ice? Do you put your tipups on buoy floats or something? tongue.gif

That reminds me I gotta get the little one out a few times this summer.

This has been a tough summer for fishing the freshwater.

That doesn't mean unproductive, just that you have to put in more work to get the fish. The water levels are lower, which drives the fish deeper during the day. Fishing at night, as I do a lot, the fish tend to "come out and play" as the sun sets. That means the same thing: more work.

But when that work pay's off, BOY does it!

I fish at Heard Pond in Wayland, and the night fishing can be hot or cold, depending on the water level.

I used to fish a Buckmaster in Westwood, but I was informed that the "park closes at dark", but there are NO signs stating this. That bites because Buckmaster was my "go-to" pond for simple night fishing. The bass were pretty consistant.

Anyway, I have been trying a number of different ponds, looking for another "go-to" spot. None have measured up to my expectations so far.

My problem is finding a pond where night fishing is allowed (by kayak).

Most have parking lots that close at night, thus preventing me from taking advantage of the waters.

Hopefully we'll get a few days of rain intermixed with all these sunny days, so the water levels can be restored, somewhat, to better conditions.

Have you noticed that practically EVERY pond has a weed problem?

It's absolutely discouraging for shore anglers, since the waters are conpletely choked with these weeds.

Yes, the water level is pretty lower than I expected it to be. I got some nibbles and hits and no hook-ups. It was frustrating. I do not own a kayak. Yeah, some weeds grew in the middle of the lake or where I was standing in Ashland. Crystal lake is failing me. i hope i dont need to reach far to fish. =/

View Postwaltham to watertown

It has been producing for me and I think the water levels are dead on... It took a little for the place recover after they drained the river for the dam work and all that digging they did find the missing coupler. Last time I nailed 5 bass, but I am in a boat..

Take a ride out to the deerfield river, the no-kill section (fly only).

Theres some huge trout (browns and rainbows) , at nite is best.

I was having fair to decent success in the Sudbury before my FL vacation last week. In fact, I did pretty well with trout in a diffferent stretch of the river before the weather warmed up, when I found a nice supply of lg mouth and pickerel despite the water levels being very low. I've been splitting time between catching them on the fly and on Senkos (wacky worm style) on the spinning rod. On the fly, it's been nothing fancy...a simple olive wooly bugger with a beadhead.

I did hit the Charles in the Watertown stretch 2 times during the late spring in search of stripers. The results (while using a Rebel Jumping Minnow) were one large mouth and one schoolie on the first night and a skunkin' on the second night. Herring were in pretty thick...but in my two brief attempts, I did not see stripers crashing them as I have in the past. When I lived in Waltham, I gave that place a better effort. But now I'm in Framingham and the freshwater scene is just fine out this way (minus the opportunity for stripers)

View PostIt has been producing for me and I think the water levels are dead on... It took a little for the place recover after they drained the river for the dam work and all that digging they did find the missing coupler. Last time I nailed 5 bass, but I am in a boat..

That one I do not have a boat. I should check it out. I always fish in Watertown mostly.

View PostTake a ride out to the deerfield river, the no-kill section (fly only).

Theres some huge trout (browns and rainbows) , at nite is best.

Damn, man. I don't flyfish. Cannot afford fancy stuffs. Is it fishable and accessible by foot?

View PostI was having fair to decent success in the Sudbury before my FL vacation last week. In fact, I did pretty well with trout in a diffferent stretch of the river before the weather warmed up, when I found a nice supply of lg mouth and pickerel despite the water levels being very low. I've been splitting time between catching them on the fly and on Senkos (wacky worm style) on the spinning rod. On the fly, it's been nothing fancy...a simple olive wooly bugger with a beadhead.

I did hit the Charles in the Watertown stretch 2 times during the late spring in search of stripers. The results (while using a Rebel Jumping Minnow) were one large mouth and one schoolie on the first night and a skunkin' on the second night. Herring were in pretty thick...but in my two brief attempts, I did not see stripers crashing them as I have in the past. When I lived in Waltham, I gave that place a better effort. But now I'm in Framingham and the freshwater scene is just fine out this way (minus the opportunity for stripers)

Ah, yeah, I tried it out before and no bites for me last time. Those were finicky last summer when I fished for them. Hell, I saw some small mouth that were in large size. You live in Framingham? I haven't been fishing on foot at Lake Cocohituate. Last time I was there and the bass wouldn't take anything I offered in this Spring, but I might give it a try.

LAwrence brook, above Doans falls in Royalston, prime wild trout water.

Bear brook, it empties into the deerfield near millers falls.