bluefish sashimi

Rate this topic

View Post

As far as the dark meat goes--IMO the dark meat from a large bass is stronger tasting than that from a 5-7 pound bluefish.

I think so too.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

• 8 years later...
On 7/29/2010 at 6:40 PM, Tom T said:

I have not tried it sashimi style, but as ceviche. Very, very tasty. Can't remember what I put in, but it was fairly classic. Lime/lemon, salt pepper, and onions, maybe something else headscratch.gif

I’m reading this while actually eating bluefish ceviche, it’s stronger flavor goes well with the other strong flavors (lime, cilantro, hot pepper, red onion). However the texture is soft as expected. I’ll be cutting the fish into smaller dice-sized pieces next time to counter that.

AC320DF7-BB9D-4FA9-A27C-511EAA65EE65.jpeg

077614FB-D771-4A52-856C-F8C3580ACCA3.jpeg

I’ve only eaten it as sashimi on the boat.  Fish is ice cold, flesh a bit blue and a little crunchy.   Crunchy might be because it’s still in rigor, I dunno, but it was a good texture to me.  

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

I made some killer ceviche from mangrove snapper a month ago. Gonna have to adapt the recipe to bluefish when I catch some.

Also, way to bump a 9 year old thread. :laugh:

Edited by JTR

15 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Never had it, but I would check as to the likelihood of bluefish carrying parasites before I would try it.

I would assume they do.   When I tried it I’ve cut it thin enough to see through it and clean as possible because even more likely to encounter bacteria.  Still not going to be something I eat regularly.  

On 6/6/2019 at 1:15 PM, JimW said:

I would assume they do.   When I tried it I’ve cut it thin enough to see through it and clean as possible because even more likely to encounter bacteria.  Still not going to be something I eat regularly.  

I bled, filleted, iced, and processed the fish quickly and saw no signs of parasites while slicing. Between the 5 friends and myself that ate it, we had zero issues. With that said, every fish is a little different so it’s always good to keep an eye out. Field dressing your catch ASAP after catching and bleeding is also a good precaution to avoid parasite issues and preserve the meat. Parasites abandon fish once they know it’s dead, which drives them into the meat. So gut it.

Old school tip: If you’re far from your cooler or way out on a jetty and want to keep fishing, gather a bunch of fresh seaweed and find a shady area where waves and crabs won’t get it. Make a seaweed bed, put the fish on top, and cover it with the rest of the wet seaweed. It’s a hell of a lot better than nothing and worth not spoiling a good fish.

Edited by Shane_O

I'm certain theres a process to preparing sushi grade sashimi which affects both the preservation of the meat's quality as well as it's safe consumption.   

It's my understanding that upon catch, quick dispatch of the fish is necessary, immediate filet and a day to allow the meat to rest, chilled of course.   At this point after rigermortis within the flesh has dissipated the portioned meat is flash frozen to preserve the quality of the meat and to kill what is otherwise potentially dangerous bacteria. 

4 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

I'm certain theres a process to preparing sushi grade sashimi which affects both the preservation of the meat's quality as well as it's safe consumption.   

It's my understanding that upon catch, quick dispatch of the fish is necessary, immediate filet and a day to allow the meat to rest, chilled of course.   At this point after rigermortis within the flesh has dissipated the portioned meat is flash frozen to preserve the quality of the meat and to kill what is otherwise potentially dangerous bacteria. 

I believe that sashimi is a higher grade than sushi, if either really exist.

" I did my worst, but I did it well "

Sushi actually refers to the seasoned rice, nothing to do with the fish.   I don’t think there’s anything to sashimi or sushi grade fish except what your trustworthy monger thinks of it.   At least no official grading system.   Think only requirement for restaurant is that it’s been frozen at prescribed times and temperatures to kill parasites 

On 6/14/2019 at 0:25 PM, DeepBlue85 said:

Then freezing is done before the meat is portioned. There is a specific protocol that must (by law) be followed if the fish is to be sold.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI