Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slingin Eels

Island Heights Crab Badge?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

So I am visiting my parents in Island Heights/Toms River area and decidied to head down to the pier to do some crabbing. The "rent a cop" that approached me explained to me that I need a "badge" to crab on the premises regarding the small piers and along the bulkhead. I asked him if this was something privately adminstered with the township or was it developed earlier this year for certain townships through Fish and Game. This doesn't make sense to me and knowing the Navesink and Shrewsbury rivers don't call for a crab badge I find this a little out in left field. Anyone that can explain this I would appreciate it.

Seems you can't do **** anywhere in this state anymore without paying for something. Then again, this is Toms River/Island Heights not sure of "their" laws.

The badge is most likely for access to the piers, not to actually crab. I looked on the Island heights boro website and all I could find regarding badges was the following:

Notice: Recreational Badges are available at a discount price at the boroough hall. 12 Years of Age and Older $15.00 Season, $5.00 Weekly and $3.00 Daily. Effective June 1st Badge fees will increase to 12 Years of Age and Older $25.00 Season, $15.00 Weekly and $5.00 Daily.

No pots, just drop lines. I understand you need a license if you have a pot but just getting access to the pier and a cost for their access is rediculous. It's not the beach, it's a pier. NJ? Maybe they will start charging for outhouses also.

View PostI think some of the piers in Seaside require a beach badge.

That is correct. Both 5th and 14th ave piers require the same badge as you need to get on the beach. It's been that way since I was a kid. I suspect the island heights "recreational badge" is a multi use badge also.

There are several piers that are free in Seaside Heights. Island Heights charges for crabbing to control the benny population. I think the locals want to keep it a quiet, sleepy town.