Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mtt0216

Need some crabbing tips

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I went crabbing last week in AC and caught 16 keepers. My problem was how to keep them alive longest. By the time i got home they were just about dead.

I put them in a cooler and put some water in there but that didn't seem to help.

Is there anyway to keep them a live longer.

Also I have a few cages that don't have a bait holder anymore. Id there an easy way to make something to hold the bait in the cage.

Thanks

Never put water in with them. Put a little wet seaweed on top of them and they will stay alive for quite awhile, overnight even. Keep'em cool and out of the sun.

About a half hour before you cook them cover them with ice, then when they are all sleepy (takes about 20-30 mins) you can clean them instead of doing the dirty crab thing.

Love'em

View PostNever put water in with them. Put a little wet seaweed on top of them and they will stay alive for quite awhile, overnight even. Keep'em cool and out of the sun.

About a half hour before you cook them cover them with ice, then when they are all sleepy (takes about 20-30 mins) you can clean them instead of doing the dirty crab thing.

Love'em

adding the water was your problem

never add water

if you have a cooler when you catch them you can put them on ice at that time

as for the bait holder(s) - get a wire coat hanger - untwist it - make up your bait holder(s) and cut off the remainder

You can add water to cool them down but drain it quickly after. A bunch of crabs will drown in water because they will easily deplete all of the oxygen in it especially during the warm summer months.

As was said, no water, just wet seaweed and/or a wet rag on top, and keep them as cool as you can.

And as far as getting them home dead......always the best to have them live, but if they die and you steam them within about 6-7 hours or so after they expire, they are fine........

I have actually tested this out of curiosity, so I know.

View PostAs was said, no water, just wet seaweed and/or a wet rag on top, and keep them as cool as you can.

And as far as getting them home dead......always the best to have them live, but if they die and you steam them within about 6-7 hours or so after they expire, they are fine........

I have actually tested this out of curiosity, so I know.

Thats good to know. I'd feel better if they were alive, but I guess there fine to eat after that amount of time.

You can put them on ice. This stuns them and you make think they are dead but the just go to sleep. Do not let the ice turn into water, otherwise it will drown them.

I learned the hard way too.

Carl

I put a barely damp towel on the bottom, a wet towel on top and plastic ice blocks over that. The towel on the bottom absorbs any excess water and the ice puts em to sleep.

We do the exact same thing on a miniature scale using Tupperware to keep soft calico's fresh when crabbing the beach.