Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

August for me .

I wait for them all year.heart.gif

My favorite fishing top water tuna drool.gif

Hopefully with all the warm water off Newport we see

some more exotics inshore.

BFT Skippies and Mahi would be nice cwm12.gif

Here in MA, very late Aug for me....However, CT has the distinction of giving up my latest albie catch of any given season....Decemberbiggrin.gif . However, that should be stated with an *. Before 9/11, you could fish the outflows of the Milstone Powerplant and the last fall before that tragedy, the albies (as well as bluefish) were there until at least early Dec, which is when I finally gave up as they were starting to thin out by then. But until then, I had never heard of 'holdover albies'cwm27.gif

View PostHere in MA, very late Aug for me....However, CT has the distinction of giving up my latest albie catch of any given season....Decemberbiggrin.gif . However, that should be stated with an *. Before 9/11, you could fish the outflows of the Milstone Powerplant

You can fish the outflow from boat now.

I have not seen nor heard of it happening again .

DougieV works there so he keeps checking for us smile.gif

I caught 3 Albies the second week end in Dec. that year also.

We had double digits the first weekend in Dec. biggrin.gif

I usally see them into Nov. most years.

View PostYou can fish the outflow from boat now.

I have not seen nor heard of it happening again .

DougieV works there so he keeps checking for us smile.gif

I caught 3 Albies the second week end in Dec. that year also.

We had double digits the first weekend in Dec. biggrin.gif

I usally see them into Nov. most years.

That year was nuts. In Nov, they were in so thick that you could almost walk across their backs from one side of the flow to the other...they just stacked there and even reminded me (a little) of Northwest salmon stacked up their given spawning rivers. Some guys even went down with snag hooks and started taking them 'salmon river' style (before they banned snagging in that river).

Not having ever caught false albies, just wanted a little information. Are they good to eat? What do they bite on? Are they line shy? They must fight really great!? Just wondering.

View PostNot having ever caught false albies, just wanted a little information. Are they good to eat? What do they bite on? Are they line shy? They must fight really great!? Just wondering.

Although a few are caught on larger lures, most are caught on small offerings (metals is the most common, but they eat small plastics and plugs as well). They can be line shy...but there will be days when they hit as aggressively as bluefish. But the line shy days outnumber the 'easy' days by a fairly substantial ratio. Use an approach as if they are line shy all the time.

The fight is superb and blows away anything a striper or blue can do (on a pound to pound basis). I've only had the pleasure of catching 40" bass and albies in the same day on a couple of occasions and the length of the fight (but not the dynamics) were pretty much on par with each other....using the same lighter gear.

Food wise - there are some people who do eat them and they're not technically inedible. However, you'll find the vast majority of fishermen will not eat them and in fact, there's a common cliche' regarding how a cat won't even eat the stuff. But if you do try one, bleed him out immediately and keep on ice. You'll see that their flesh is so dark, it makes bluefish flesh look like a white fish by comparison.

View PostAlthough a few are caught on larger lures, most are caught on small offerings (metals is the most common, but they eat small plastics and plugs as well). They can be line shy...but there will be days when they hit as aggressively as bluefish. But the line shy days outnumber the 'easy' days by a fairly substantial ratio. Use an approach as if they are line shy all the time.

The fight is superb and blows away anything a striper or blue can do (on a pound to pound basis). I've only had the pleasure of catching 40" bass and albies in the same day on a couple of occasions and the length of the fight (but not the dynamics) were pretty much on par with each other....using the same lighter gear.

Food wise - there are some people who do eat them and they're not technically inedible. However, you'll find the vast majority of fishermen will not eat them and in fact, there's a common cliche' regarding how a cat won't even eat the stuff. But if you do try one, bleed him out immediately and keep on ice. You'll see that their flesh is so dark, it makes bluefish flesh look like a white fish by comparison.

Thanks for the info. What are their teeth like?

Teeth wise, nothing too major...I've even lipped them before, although the first time I did that, it caught me off guard that they do have some teeth (not enough to do any major damage - but if you're expecting no teeth, you'll be like 'oh...they do have teeth'redface.gifcwm27.gif )

In terms of rigging your leader for teeth, don't bother. You will have to change your leader occasionally because the teeth will rough it up. But they won't bite through your leader.

With that said, they're not as bad as bonito when it comes to their line shy tendencies. So you can vamp your leader up to 12-15 lb in calmer water or 20 lb if fishing a harder rip.

Incidently, down in FL, these same fish will hit a ropecwm27.gif

View PostThanks for the info. What are their teeth like?

No teeth to speak of, but the bonito have teeth and they are good to eat, and often school with the albies.

If I had to pick a go-to lure, it would be a deadly dick.

Fish with a flouro leader, and don't use swivels or clips.

Plastics like zoom flukes work good too.

They are a blast, but frustrating too.

ya tell me about the frustrating part, been trying to get one from shore for ummmmmmmm mabe 5 years or so, but have had them hit but never got the hooks, had a bone crush my darter 3 years ago and put some good teeth marks on it