Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BOH

Falling Trees

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Took the kids on a float trip tonight after a front passed through. Had the river to ourselves and just a nice way to end the weekend. Anyhow - that storm, after weeks of hot and dry, must have really loosened things up because we heard 3 trees fall (they do make a sound) as we paddled down. Pretty cool (and a little eerie) how much noise they make crashing to earth. Fishing was good icon14.gif

Carry on.

The lake up here has taken a beating from these last couple storms. I didn't stick around this afternoon to see how much damage it took today. cwm31.gif

I heard one while hiking the water gap about two years ago. It is kinda freaky to hear a tree fall when no one else is around......cwm31.gif

View PostTook the kids on a float trip tonight after a front passed through. Had the river to ourselves and just a nice way to end the weekend. Anyhow - that storm, after weeks of hot and dry, must have really loosened things up because we heard 3 trees fall (they do make a sound) as we paddled down. Pretty cool (and a little eerie) how much noise they make crashing to earth. Fishing was good icon14.gif

Carry on.

I dropped many a tree. The loudest were 60 plus foot cottonwood when I lived on the river. Sounded like thunder.

View PostI dropped many a tree. The loudest were 60 plus foot cottonwood when I lived on the river. Sounded like thunder.

In college we dropped a +/- 100' Cathedral pine with an ax. When it finally went, about 2.5 hours of choppin, it sounded like an earthquake and a volcanowink.gif 6' wave in the pond, and many mice swimmincwm27.gif

Don't know if any of you felt this snowstorm but around february during all of that really bad snow NoVA had about 40" at one point. Anyways my whole family and my neighbor were out in my driveway shoveling/talking when all of a sudden we heard a snap.

One of the tops of a tall pine tree (not the christmas tree kind) had snapped off, the whole thing being about 12 feet tall and the tree was probably 100' tall.

Pretty scary to say the least it happened right in our yard we were sledding there anyone could've been under it.

View PostDon't know if any of you felt this snowstorm but around february during all of that really bad snow NoVA had about 40" at one point. Anyways my whole family and my neighbor were out in my driveway shoveling/talking when all of a sudden we heard a snap.

One of the tops of a tall pine tree (not the christmas tree kind) had snapped off, the whole thing being about 12 feet tall and the tree was probably 100' tall.

Pretty scary to say the least it happened right in our yard we were sledding there anyone could've been under it.

Widowmakerwink.gif

About 3 years ago, I was hiking with my lab in thick woods after a heavy storm. Maybe 75 yards ahead, a huge tree fell toward us and set off a dominoes-like series of toppling trees-- toward me. Loud! It looked like something out of Jurassic Park or King Kong-- the tree canopy crashng and collapsing toward me. Scary for a moment or two.

It ain't Christmas in my house until the tree comes falling over; friggin' Gremlins- I know I set it right in the stand every year cwm13.gifcwm13.gifcwm13.gif