Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yougster

Eelin'

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have heard of this before but I don't know if I am thinking of it right. Do you just cast a heel on a hook and retrieve like a lure??

If this is right I have some Questions.

Where would it be good, Jetties and rocks? what about open beach?

Are eels present naturally in the water during one part of the season or can you use them any times?

How heavy of a rod do you need. Very light or more like 1-3 ounces.

Thanks

Fish Eels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They catch bigger fish. I usually fish them during moon's, Usually around inlets. Al ya do is cast them and retrieve them slowly. I use a heavier rod when fishing Eels, say a medium rod,10'. you need a little more backbone when fishing Eels, Due to catching bigger fish! Good Luck, Fishlife-

View PostI have heard of this before but I don't know if I am thinking of it right. Do you just cast a heel on a hook and retrieve like a lure??

Sort of. You want to reel as slowly as you possibly can while still keeping in contact with the eel. This may be harder to do than you realize, unless you've spent a lot of time fishing needlefish. Just to give you an idea of how slow to go...I often wind the line back on my spool by hand, wrapping once around the spool ever few seconds - not only is this easier than trying to turn a handle one revolution ever 10 seconds or so, but it also lets me feel the eel on the end of my line better, and when I get a hit my bail is already open, so I can let the fish go for a 3-count before sticking her.

View PostWhere would it be good, Jetties and rocks? what about open beach?

Whether eels, bait, or plugs....I'd be working over the rocks and jetties pretty thoroughly before I even thought about fishing an open beach. Eels will work just about anywhere, but you still want to fish fish-holding structure if you can.

View PostAre eels present naturally in the water during one part of the season or can you use them any times?

Read up on the lifecycle of the american eel a bit. icon14.gif

You can use them anytime.

View PostHow heavy of a rod do you need. Very light or more like 1-3 ounces.

Most eels weigh 2-4 ounces, but you're not casting them like you'd cast a lure, its more of a slow, lob-type cast. A rod rated up to 3 ounces will handle them well, and one with a slower action or made of fiberglass will let you cast them with more force without ripping the hook out.