Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atomb

OT Buying used car need help NYS DMV

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

So Im buying a used jeep tomorrow and Im trying to get the paperwork together so when i go to the DMV I dont fall flat on my face.

I think Im facing a potential issue though maybe you guys can shed some light on this for me.

Im gointo get a title signed over to me when i drop off the check. I will be recieving the title and the guy is giving me a dmv sform filled out for title transfer. I gave him a purchase agreement for my bank that hes faxing over to them for release of the funds. I told him that i also needed a bill of sale in ink and he seems to think that the title transfer form and the title will be sufficent.

what do u guys think i got stand in line at the dmv and im pretty sure they want the original bill of sale. My concern of the bill of sale issue is he wont be around in the morning and his brother is doing the dropoff so all i have is a faxed bill of sale not the original. Is that gonna fly at the DMV?

Clear title is what's needed in NYS or release of lien from lien holder, bill of sale is used for sales tax amount you'll be paying on, if you have no receipt(bill of sale) you pay sales tax on highest book (usually retail)value

Wish I could answer this for you. If it were MA I might have a better idea. Generally, the DMV needs originals, but some things can be photo copied. Hopefully, the person you see at the registry is on a good mood and helps you out. Here in MA, for a personal sale you don't need a BOS to register a car.

All I can suggest, is go in with what you got. If you need more, oooh they will tell you. If you need the original, get it from the guy.

I want to know why everyone that works in the DMV are so damn miserable beatin.gif

Thanks freshy I appreciate the reply. Im going in today and hopefully i have what they want and they are in a good mood at the DMV unfortunately this will be at 2 pm who is going to be in a good mood then? Thanks again