Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TF3

Braid, Mono, Tuna thread

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Braid is down right dangerous when Tuna fishing, but the bigger issue is what braid does to mono when they meet at the boat and there's a Tuna attached to both. Braid wins every timecwm13.gif

Are you talking about party boats? It's my understanding that most don't allow braid.

And why is braid and tuna fishing no good? If anything, the introduction of braid has revolutionized the sport (casting, high speed jigging, etc.)......

headscratch.gif

View PostAre you talking about party boats? It's my understanding that most don't allow braid.

And why is braid and tuna fishing no good? If anything, the introduction of braid has revolutionized the sport (casting, high speed jigging, etc.)......

headscratch.gif

No, not talking about party boats.

At high speed Braid is dangerous to the hands, feet (almost got my webbed toes split), mono, equipment...............you name it. Found the braid slipping between the roller and rod because it's too thinheadscratch.gif

View PostNo, not talking about party boats.

At high speed Braid is dangerous to the hands, feet (almost got my webbed toes split), mono, equipment...............you name it. Found the braid slipping between the roller and rod because it's too thinheadscratch.gif

That sounds odd... I'm not an offshore guy, but wouldn't there have to be a good amount of slack to allow the braid to "jump" the rollers like that?

If you got a reel big enough to load enough mono on then your fine with mono. If your using a spinning reel with heavy drag for big tunas the braid is almost a must. A lot of east coast party boats don't allow braid for tuna, however, the west coasters have been successfully doing the same thing for years without complaints.

Tuna fishing is an extreme sport, its dangerous no matter what!

View PostNo, not talking about party boats.

Fair enough - just don't use it.

However, mono screaming off a reel can be pretty dangerous too.

And, yes there are many issues when trying to use braid on gear designed with mono in mind, but that is becoming less of a problem as manufactures adjust.

And not for nothing, but if having line wrapped around your feet with a hooked fish on one end is a regular problem, I don't think braid is where you should be focusing your frustrations. wink.gif

View Postif having line wrapped around your feet with a hooked fish on one end is a regular problem, I don't think braid is where you should be focusing your frustrations. wink.gif

End of thread

View PostFair enough - just don't use it.

if having line wrapped around your feet with a hooked fish on one end is a regular problem, I don't think braid is where you should be focusing your frustrations. wink.gif

probably the reel?

There's a difference between jigging/popping on a 25' CC for tuna and jigging/popping for them on a 60' express or even moreso a 120' party boat with 8-30 other people.

You can get a lot of the same results with a high-tech Copolymer like Silver Tread, Jinkai, Momoi that you do with braid, in terms of "low stretch, high strength, low diameter", just not as much so in any of those categories. Then add in the fact that it has a much higher abrasion resistance than the braid does.

For big-game, if there's more than just me (or me and a friend) fishing, I'd much rather use the "mono" just for the sake of convenience.

View PostBraid is down right dangerous when Tuna fishing, but the bigger issue is what braid does to mono when they meet at the boat and there's a Tuna attached to both. Braid wins every timecwm13.gif

Everything is sorta dangerous when tuna fishing.

To your second point (I think), all the more reason to use braid.

Braid is down right dangerous when Tuna fishing, but the bigger issue is what braid does to mono when they meet at the boat and there's a Tuna attached to both. Braid wins every timecwm13.gif

Any line can ruin a day especially when connected to a tuna. Braid is neither good nor bad. If the person using it is not versed in how braid performs it can cause problems. Of course a newb with any gear could cause problems.

When it comes to tangles in general I have found that the moving line tends to win. If you are wrapped with another angler and one line is moving and the other is static, the static line gets "burned" off. A real nasty trick is to drop the drag back when you are in a tangle. It's pretty amazying how fast the static line will give way.biggrin.gifYMMV.

View PostEnd of thread

So you were therecwm13.gif Not quite the way it happened, so go end your own thread!!

MM you don't need much slack to move it off the tip, especially when outriggers and amatures are involved.

View PostSo you were therecwm13.gif Not quite the way it happened, so go end your own thread!!

MM you don't need much slack to move it off the tip, especially when outriggers and amatures are involved.

This place gets less and less fun every day.

How did you get the line wrapped in your toes????

I don't know of any technique in which braided line would end up on the boat deck. Not too mention I have never seen anyone troll with straight braid. Always a minimum of a 100' topshot.

What kind of rollers are on the rods that are getting fouled. Must be a pretty big gap for 80-100lb braid to get bound up.