Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndrewVT

High-speed vs regular casting reels

10 posts in this topic

When fishing for LMB, when do you like using high speed reels (>7.0 retrieve ratios) versus regular speed reels (~6.3 retrieve ratios). I am building an all-purpose bass rod for throwing jigs, carolina rigs, and weighted worms up to 3/4 ozs and trying to decide between the two retrieve ratios for an Abu Revo. When do you like to use each reel, and do you feel that the loss of cranking power hurts you when fishing deeper water?

icon26.gif I use high speed reels(7:1) for everything EXCEPT for worm/small plastics and cranking. You can get away using high speed reels for everything because its always easier to SLOW DOWN than to SPEED UP. A QUALITY high speed reel will not really hurt when fishing deep cranks.

View Posticon26.gif I use high speed reels(7:1) for everything EXCEPT for worm/small plastics and cranking. You can get away using high speed reels for everything because its always easier to SLOW DOWN than to SPEED UP. A QUALITY high speed reel will not really hurt when fishing deep cranks.

agreed about it being easier to slow down rather than speed up. i use 6.3:1 for everything except when using jigs, frogs, or cranking. i like a 7:1 for jigs and frogs b/c it's typically in the slop and i want to be able to pull larry out as fast as possible. imo, if you're looking for something all around stick with something in the 6 range to start.

Hmmm, I don't see the point in that. A slower reel has greater power, which would be more effective at pulling fish from cover. IMO, unless you're ripping buzzbaits, the lower gear ratio (6 or so) is more effective, particularly for the slower baits he mentioned.

redface.gif At the end of the day you will simply get in more casts using a 7:1 than a 6.3:1. The last few feet getting the lure back to you is where it makes the difference. When you get a lure tangled way out there you can get it back to the boat quicker. When pitching/flipping after the initial fall and hop you want that jig back to the boat as quick as possible. Once again, a QUALITY reel will have plenty of power to reel in those hogs. A POWER fisherman can definitely benefit from a high speed reel.

View Postredface.gif At the end of the day you will simply get in more casts using a 7:1 than a 6.3:1. The last few feet getting the lure back to you is where it makes the difference. When you get a lure tangled way out there you can get it back to the boat quicker. When pitching/flipping after the initial fall and hop you want that jig back to the boat as quick as possible. Once again, a QUALITY reel will have plenty of power to reel in those hogs. A POWER fisherman can definitely benefit from a high speed reel.

exactly. most experts or pros agree that a higher ratio is what you need to quickly pull a fish out of cover. if you have a decent reel, power is not really a problem. the power and leverage will come more from the rod and line you are using ie. MH or H 7' or more with heavy fluoro / braid. also a slower gear ratio for cranking will make you slow down the retrieve which is sometimes necessary.

I think a high speed reel will help with getting a spinner away from snags quickly. I'll try it this weekend with my Abu 4600C4. Brute power is not really needed (for me at least).

I've only owned one 7:1 + reel and it wasn't for me. I prefer lower gear ratios. And max out at 6.2 or so. Its not really a huge bump up. But for any diving plugs or resistant baits. I just didn't like the heavyness of the handle.

I find it funny that so many enthusiasts go out and buy tons of high speed reels and then put longer handles on them.......Defeats the purpose if you ask me....LOL

I only like the high speed reels for power pitching an entire shoreline Or throwing weightless worms and dragging them over weeds...And buzzbaits plain suck with a 5.2 : 1 gear ratio....... :D

Other than that I prefer torque as I find it easier to speed up than slow down with baitcasters. And I feel more connected. Spinning reels its the opposite...(opposite hand...opposite side of brain...I dunno but I like fast spinners with short handles)

Its mainly personal preference. They have their pros and cons.