Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mikey149

Pflueger Medalist 6080

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Just picked one up as a spare for heavy SW. Any Pro or Con thoughts about this relatively inexpensive reel? BTW, if anybody knows the difference between the 6080 and the 6080x, pray tell.confused.gif

It's not a bad reel for the price. I had one years ago, and did ok with it. It's got a metal body, which is good for strength. Less tendency to contort under a load.smile.gif

i was thinking you were refering to a 6080 and a 7080 but they stoped makeing the 80 size as far as i know the 6080x and 6080 im thinking are the same thing just listed different . see page 14 http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/catalog.pdf i have a medalist 7050 and it has a sealed carbon fiber drag and different shape body . Sorry for the confusion.

Did the job but did not handle salt and sand well. I had a few times where sand would get under the drag cap during the course of fishing causing it to tighten down on itself when a fish took line. Be mindful of that and clean it well.

After using the reel for a few heavy surf trips I am very happy with it. Casting for distance with this reel is impressive when the spool is fully loaded and paired with a balanced rod/lure combination. I haven't had any issues with sand or salt accumulation but that may be because I do a fresh water wash down when I get home. Drag worked great when hauling in a double-header of stripers (one on the DJ and one on the teaser), both fish about 8 lbs each, in very heavy surf. I only had one incident where the bail released pre-maturely on a cast but I think that was my fault...irrational exuberance I think. IMHO the Pflueger line is one of the best values around for spinning gear. I now have three, a 6735 (light), a 6750 (medium) and the 6080. Very happy with all three. clapping.gif