Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IanCT

7/24, embrace the skunk

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I hit the road at around 10 pm to meet a buddy and catch the last hour or so of the incoming and a little bit of the outgoing tide at a spot we seem to have a pattern on. When I pulled onto the long narrow road leading me to my spot, I was greeted by a skunk, milling around next to the roadway. "Was this a sign of things to come tonight?" I thought to myself. As soon as I rigged up and got on the water, the bass were there and feeding. Right off the bat I got a couple hits on a small rabbit strip fly, with a gold beadhead, tied on a mustad c68sz size 6.

IMG00033-20100725-1119.jpg

After the tide started moving out we moved to a small outflow that drains a small pond into a small bay, there is a pipe of 15-20" that runs under a road and stripers sit inside and in front of this pipe on the falling tide. The idea is to get on a man made structure(docks) some 35' directly down current, and cast right to the base or inside the pipe, maintain contact with your fly and wait for the take. Most fish caught here have been on the smallish side(less than 20"), but I hooked up with a few fish in the 24-26" range, here is the biggest fish of the night.

IMG00031-20100725-0131.jpg

While this fish's size may not seem impressive, he was a gorgeous specimen who battled impressively, leading me to believe he was a bigger fish. These fish were great fun as it differs from the norm of places we usually fish, often overlooking a small outflow such as this for a bigger place which we are familiar with. They were a blast to fight and keep from wrapping you around pilings, ropes and boats. The Bio-lume was impressive last night, as was the thunderstorm that moved through around 12:30. As lightning broke out close, the rain came down in sheets, we sought cover in my buddies car, waiting for the storm to pass. Earlier in the night there was a boat anchored nearby blaring Dave Mathews tunes, which was also nice. After the action died down around 2 am, I lit a victory smoke on the way to the diner, where I could ponder the events of the night over a hot open turkey. To me, this was a great way to spend a saturday night.

Ian,

There is somthing about your post's that makes me want to grab my rod and head out but the fishing is dead in my neck of the woods . Nice report and nice fish pal.

Jamie.

Thanks for the kind words Jamie, I hope you get out and get some fish on the long rods. Alot of the typical spots in western sound have been pretty lousy for some time, so finding bait and putting the picture together over the course of a couple weeks has been extremely satisfying, on the tying side and learning about how fish relate to certain spots by watching them, and what baits they are eating at what tide stage.

I forgot to mention we saw a small pod of p-nut bunker that came through, surprisingly the bass didnt so much as look in their direction. At this spot they have keyed in on small bait, most around 2 inches, but that may change if more peanuts come in. We'll see tonight.

No problem ian.

Hope it all goes wel for you tonight .

Hopefully we can get some fish moving in around my way soon enough.

I cant even fish for trout in my normal spots with this heat as a wise man once said it is what it is.

Ill just keep tying and wait for the fall Or else i will just get out to wet a line.

Good luck.

Jamie

Reading your post I was already formulating my reply, but Jamie stole my thunder. It is DEAD here in Brooklyn for the fly, or we are not fishing in the right spot.

Funny as well, I was just on the stripermoon site reading Ken's article about small water and he was mentioning just what you did, looking for the small spots. Keep the reports coming, I learn something from every one. This post, keep looking.

O

We hit the water at 10, the bass showed, but the action died out early. We both managed a couple fish, here is the fish of the night.

Nice job ian .

Got out myself last night to try out the flat wings only one of them had fouling issues (thank god).

Had a big skunkeroo of a night the one positive i took is that i was seen alot of bait somthing i have not seen in a few weeks.

ANd the flies i tied looked great in the water only if there were some fish around to let me know how they felt.

Thanks for the report pal.

Jamie.