Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Donadong

Philly area question

12 posts in this topic

All,

I'm working in King of Prussia for the next couple months and my hotel is right on the Schuylkill River. Is it worth the $50 out of state license to fish? What can I expect to catch? What should I be throwing? Thanks for your time!

John

Ive gone down the Schuylkill and IMO its not worth it... There are barely any smallmouths over 10 inches and the only 2 things worth catching are the huge catfish and carp, but there VERY skiddish in the Schuylkill. Also, almost all the catfish are infected from people snagging them..

View PostIve gone down the Schuylkill and IMO its not worth it... There are barely any smallmouths over 10 inches and the only 2 things worth catching are the huge catfish and carp, but there VERY skiddish in the Schuylkill. Also, almost all the catfish are infected from people snagging them..

Respectfully, you couldn't be more wrong.

View PostRespectfully, you couldn't be more wrong.

The only way I could be wrong is if were fishing different stretches of that river.. I fished a big stretch up by the Limerick Powerplant and this is what I observed. Maybe the lower section is better, but when every catfish I see has huge infected sores on it and in 7 hours I cant catch a smallie larger then 10 inches, this is what my conclusion will be.

View PostThe only way I could be wrong is if were fishing different stretches of that river.. I fished a big stretch up by the Limerick Powerplant and this is what I observed. Maybe the lower section is better, but when every catfish I see has huge infected sores on it and in 7 hours I cant catch a smallie larger then 10 inches, this is what my conclusion will be.

Not trying to pick a fight with you at all. I just think that a 7 hr trip doesn't justify you being able to say it pretty much stinks as a fishery. I think the Skuke is a gem of a river that most people overlook. I have fished it for the better part of 20 years. It is not what it once was fish wise and is still declining I think but there is still some very good fishing to be had there. I still catch smallmouth there that are a respectable size no matter where you fish and have done so recently. Even in this heat I have had several good fish each time I go. You need to pick your spots and fish early or late to be productive at all. Again I am not trying to pick an argument just saying that I have a different opinion than you based on time spent on that river.

View PostNot trying to pick a fight with you at all. I just think that a 7 hr trip doesn't justify you being able to say it pretty much stinks as a fishery. I think the Skuke is a gem of a river that most people overlook. I have fished it for the better part of 20 years. It is not what it once was fish wise and is still declining I think but there is still some very good fishing to be had there. I still catch smallmouth there that are a respectable size no matter where you fish and have done so recently. Even in this heat I have had several good fish each time I go. You need to pick your spots and fish early or late to be productive at all. Again I am not trying to pick an argument just saying that I have a different opinion than you based on time spent on that river.

Point taken. Have you seen the catfish with the infections all over them atleast?

View PostThe stretch I'm looking at looks shallow and a bit rocky. What types of lures should I bring? I'm thinking senkos, spinnerbaits and small rapala minnows....

small jigs with twister tails, jig/crayfish combinations and white spinnerbaits

Some sections are gems and others, well upck.gifnothing like the suqi by any means but there are certain sections that are good producers. I'd do alot of scouting of the area before you sink the $50 unless you want to fish other water in that area.

Yup... what everyone else said. I lived there for few years while in college. Fished a lot. I've had great days on Skuk and pretty slow days. I usually did better for bass the farther upstream I went... like Limerick on up. Caught some decent bass around VF park though at times. But for the most part found it better for catfish in the VF/KOP area. Some NICE catties there tho... and sometimes eels.icon24.gif

It's a fun river to fish. As long as money's not real tight I'd say spend the $50... There are some decent lakes not far from KOP as well, if you have time and a car. You can be at Belmar and shark river in 1hr and 15 mins also. Nice hub to live in for a fisherman.

View PostNot trying to pick a fight with you at all. I just think that a 7 hr trip doesn't justify you being able to say it pretty much stinks as a fishery. I think the Skuke is a gem of a river that most people overlook. I have fished it for the better part of 20 years. It is not what it once was fish wise and is still declining I think but there is still some very good fishing to be had there. I still catch smallmouth there that are a respectable size no matter where you fish and have done so recently. Even in this heat I have had several good fish each time I go. You need to pick your spots and fish early or late to be productive at all. Again I am not trying to pick an argument just saying that I have a different opinion than you based on time spent on that river.

Good points, very reasonable. Koffy, I see the same thing every year here on the Susky in these conditions with the cat fish. I don't know what that particular parasite is and don't have the energy to research it but it happens a lot. I saw several schools last week and 5 or 6 out of 20 or so had the same thing. The point I'm trying to make is unless it's some thing very peculiar it happens a lot, some times mother nature is not kind. A few hours on a particular stretch does not a river make.