Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJplugginfool

Abu 6500 test line recommendations

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

View PostIn your opinion, what is the optimum test line specs used for a 6500? Braid and mono? Without any kind of mods, what is the maximum do you recommend??

I use 15lb mono or 30lb Fireline usually.

View PostI'll second the 15# mono or 50# braid. smile.gif

50# braid! Wow! Have you experienced any mechanical issues from this? Now I'm leaning towards switching from 20# mono to 40# braid after hearing this.

I've read on here that the 6500s are rated for 20 lbs... What exactly does that mean?? Is that mono or braid or just overall, optimum capability of this reel? Its all so confusing for a newbie like me.

View Post50# braid! Wow! Have you experienced any mechanical issues from this? Now I'm leaning towards switching from 20# mono to 40# braid after hearing this.

I've read on here that the 6500s are rated for 20 lbs... What exactly does that mean?? Is that mono or braid or just overall, optimum capability of this reel? Its all so confusing for a newbie like me.

Their rating is: 245 yds of 14# mono. Now one could use 20# mono, I have, but the capacity would be lowered.

I use today, mostly 50# braid, without any problems. But I'm experienced with these reels and other conventionals.

When ya spool on the braid, it's got to go on taught. One way to tell, after the line is on is to press down on the spooled line. If it feels soft or spongy, than it's on too loose. smile.gif

Abu 6500 like a drag setting that doesn't go much over 6lb.

Drag should be set at 1/3 the line breaking strength.

IE-15lb line = 5lb drag

common sense says even with 50lb braid or 40lb braid 9 or 10lbs of drag will hurt this type of reel.

The higher strength braids behave better than lighter pound tests on conventionals.

The braid doesn't dig into itself as easily and has greater abraision resistance.

So, don't use a pipe wrench to tighten the drag to match your high strength braids.

View PostAbu 6500 like a drag setting that doesn't go much over 6lb.

Drag should be set at 1/3 the line breaking strength.

IE-15lb line = 5lb drag

common sense says even with 50lb braid or 40lb braid 9 or 10lbs of drag will hurt this type of reel.

The higher strength braids behave better than lighter pound tests on conventionals.

The braid doesn't dig into itself as easily and has greater abraision resistance.

So, don't use a pipe wrench to tighten the drag to match your high strength braids.

Thanks for the advice! This is exactly the technical explanation I was looking for.

Drag should be set at 1/3 breaking strength of the line off the rod tip. A straight pull off the reel should be @ 15% of the line test.

Do not test your drag off the rod tip by pulling straight down, or you will snap the tip. Have a friend help by standing a distance away holding the scale.