Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

"New" Thought on Ribs......

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

It is fairly common practice when prepping ribs for smoking to remove the membrane from the back side of the ribs. Saw something the other day on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives that contradicted that practice.

Some guy in Memphis leaves the membrane on....the theory is that it holds in the juices/moisture when smoking to make for juicier ribs.

Thoughts?

No difference in cooking, a little difference in eating. That membrane is weird, but not too bad. Kind of like a sausage with a heavy duty casing..

I never noticed any difference with membrane on or membrane off, other than eating experince. IMHO It is way easyier to take it off with a paper towel or a dish towel before I prep them.

I do smoke my ribs using a rib rack, maybe if they were flat membrane side down I would notice the difference?

With the price of spares lately, $$$$, I want to enjoy them st. louis style without having to screw around with the membrane at the dinner table.

I have done them both ways. The membrane really doesn't bother me, but then I prefer that my rack of lamb not be "frenched", cause there is a similiar type thing between the bones and I find it tasty......and it also exists on the round bone shoulder lamb chops between the small pieces of rib bone, and that is some of the best part. Like Little said, sort of like a tough sausage casing.

View PostIt is fairly common practice when prepping ribs for smoking to remove the membrane from the back side of the ribs. Saw something the other day on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives that contradicted that practice.

Some guy in Memphis leaves the membrane on....the theory is that it holds in the juices/moisture when smoking to make for juicier ribs.

Thoughts?

The same thing was said on the episode I saw last nite, but the guy was in Kansas City doing lamb ribs.

I don't know what lame brain would suggest leaving the membrane on. I always remove it. But I tend to overcook my ribs. The competative cookers don't want the bones to fall out of the rack.

Leaving the membrane in might keep the ribs togeather a little better if you wanted to serve individual ribs to a lot of people. Other than that, I can't see it.

Terra - this wasn't a competive cooker, just someone that owned a BBQ joint.

To each their own, and I've said this before, but I never really got people raving about ribs that "fall off the bone".

To me, the perfect rack of ribs is one that is juicy and tender (and flavorful, of course), but is still "tough" enough that when you get to the bone, there is a bit of resistance to pull that last bit of meat from the bone with your teeth.

When you get to the point with ribs that you pick up the bone and the meat just falls away, to me, that is pulled pork, and if I wanted that, I woulda smoked a butt or shoulder, and not a rack of ribs. wink.gif

View PostThe same thing was said on the episode I saw last nite, but the guy was in Kansas City doing lamb ribs.

Actually, I just saw that as they ran it as a repeat just now. No way would I have removed the membrane from those....drool.gif

Before I learned about the membrane, I just dealt with it, didn't particularly care for it, but didn't know any better.

Now That I remove it before prepping and eating My wife and I (especially my wife) enjoy them much more and also have them more often.

View PostActually, I just saw that as they ran it as a repeat just now. No way would I have removed the membrane from those....drool.gif

They looked good. Did you notice he referred to them as being "Denver cut", as opposed to St.Louis? Before seeing that show, the only Denver cut I knew of was a steak that comes out of a part of the chuck.