Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Back from FL...

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Well, it was kind of a off/on trip as far as fishing was concerned. Fortunately we were flexible in remaining mobile - after spending the first two days in Orlando/Disney, the remaining 7 days of the trip was going to focus on fishing and other nature related activities for both myself and my daughter (wife just goes with the flowsmile.gif )...we first stopped down in the Juno Beach area only to find some east winds making things a bit tough from both the surf and pier. After checking the forecast and seeing no change, we bagged out of that area after one day and booked over to Naples. Turned out to be a good choice as there were plenty of snook in the surf. It was hard getting them to feed with all the bait, but I managed a handful on the fly rod in 3 mornings of fishing.

I also spent part of each morning up on the local pier and did well with spanish mackerel and (much to my chagrin) bluefish - they were mostly what we would refer to as snapper size here in the NE with a couple graduating to that 2 lb rat/cocktail class. A few jacks rounded out the action.

The one disappointment involved a dolphin stealing a pompano from memad.gif I had never caught a pompano before and after watching a few guys do pretty well, I bought a pink banana jig from one of the guys and gave it a whirl. After a couple of hit and missed, I got a solid hook up and after a decent fight (which to my surprise included a couple of jumps???) I had the fish to the surface right below where I was standing on the pier. The fish made one more dive when I suddenly felt like that fish took some steroids. After several seconds of a steady, solid, one way run, the a dolphin comes up swimming away from the pier and unfortunately, I realized it was with my line/fish in its mouth. Upon that realization, I simply aimed the rod at the dolphin and pinched down on the spool and it was all over - while I hated what just had happened, my daughter got a kick out of it...so at least it was not completely all for notkooky.gifcwm27.gif

After three days in Naples, we opted to head up to Venice for the last several days. The fishing was fairly tough, but I stuck to an all fly fishing routine while there and was rewarded with a few more spanish mackerel....pretty nice fight on a 7 wt fly rod. Overall, Venice was disappointing because last year at this same time of year, the snook were stacked and I had a great time with them. This year there were some pockets, but not anything close to last year - both me and my daughter ended up with one snook a piece. We wanted to shark fish in that area but never got around to that. Yesterday was kind of a wash out due to the tropical system that moved through - there was not much in way of wind, but the rain definitely came through in buckets.

In total, I'd have to say it was a bit of a let down after last year, but far from being a bust. Some highlights and some low lights, and some good family fun.

Non fishing-wise, as mentioned above, we started off in Disney for a couple of days and I'll spare the description since I'm sure many of you know all about the placeredface.gif But my daughter loved it...we also took the Kennedy Space Center tour, which I would say is a 'must' for anyone interested in our space program...Maybe a little over priced but you won't be disappointed. Over in the Venice/Englewood area, Blind Pass Beach is a must - that's the place where you can find all the shark teeth...look for the teeth at low tide while searching the high tide line as well as where the surf is rolling onto the sand....there were a lot of other little things too, but I won't bore you with the details...but that's my reportsmile.gif

Sounded like you had a Great time. Glad you enjoyed & thanks for sharing.

Tell me what flies were you using on the Spanish? ( No Pics? )

I'll be down in the Carolina's in Sept for about 6 months & there are quite a few down there. I got a load last year but all on Kastmasters. I had all my fly gear extra spools & left the Reel on my tying desk back home! redface.gif

I have it already packed this time!

Thanks - the only pic I took was of the first snook I caught as well as a fish I couldn't ID (will post a little later). For the spanish, I was using a small pearl zonker/candy fly tied on a #2 hook. Size wise, the spanish were a little larger than I'm use to catching down there (maybe up to 2lbs), but still smaller than what I normally catch here up north. Two of them actually got me into a little backing:-)