Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PEC54

pb time.

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

1 inch peanut bunker are starting to show along the upper cape beaches and canal, time to tie a bunch up.The past couple of years peanut bunker have been pretty scarce in these parts. I 'd like like to see a good old knock down striper blitz on pbs again.highfive.gif

That's great news. I usually see them on my favorite mid-Cape beaches in mid/late August, but the heat is probably accelerating things. It can get pretty epic on the flats, and I hope it happens this year, because as you said, it's been a few years since they've been thick. They can fool you, however. About 5-6 years ago, the peanuts were everywhere, and I was catching lots of little bass on baby bunker imitations. There were enough peanuts to snag them on a quick retrieve, and it was easy to catch little bass, but they were very small. A bait fisherman came along with three keepers and cleaned them on the beach, so I went to see what was in them. Not a single baby bunker, but those bass were filled with crabs!

One night last summer I couldn't figure out why I couldn't catch any stripers on the legions of silversides that were choking the water. When I got home that night, there was a PB in my stripping basket. It was an a-ha! moment.

So I hit the bench and tied up this fly. It's a knocked down bucktail version of Ken Abrames' Crazy Menhaden flatwing, about 1.5-2" long. I just took the colors from the original pattern and used them throughout the fly. The stripers liked it. :-)

CrazyMenBuck.JPG

Always a tough profile to match....lots of color in the little buggers too!

I'm going to MV the first week of Sept. ....will have to tie some up and experiment!

Fisherman...nice tie for color match

You're all too kind. :-)

Here's the recipe:

Hook: Gamakatsu SC15 #1

Thread: Tan

Tail: 5 strands each of fine orange, ginger, yellow and 10 pink bucktail hairs, mixed, 2 strips copper flash

Body: Gold mylar braid

Collar: 20 hairs fine ginger bucktail, 10 fine yellow, mixed

Throat: Ginger maribou

Wing: 4 fine hairs each violet, pink, chartreuse, blue, red, orange, and olive bucktail, mixed

Topping: 4 strands peacock herl

I love that fly Pete. The simplicity is fantastic but the final result is not indicative of the underlying simplicity. I like it. Kind of a "K.I.S.S." design on a higher level.

View Post....The past couple of years peanut bunker have been pretty scarce in these parts. I 'd like like to see a good old knock down striper blitz on pbs again....

Same down our way...more sand eels than you can shake a stick at...but no Nutz.

Nice ties guys!!

PNut.JPG