Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Striper32

Summer Doldrum

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hello all hope you are enjoying the summer,me personally hate this summer,way to hot.mad.gif what about you guys and gals,are you tolerating this nasty heat and fishing or waitn for it to break,have you fished in the surf or chilled out and just a chilln till the fall runbeers.gif

Pat

Hi Striper32-

I'm sick of the oppressive heat, too!!!3.gif

If I have to be out there because of obligations to my team, so be it (later in the day or early in the morning). For fishing, I'm to the point that I won't get out there 'til it starts cooling down a bit.

This has got to be the hottest summer ever recorded or damn close. The humidity just sucks- regardless of the temp. Long Beach, WA will cure this... three weeks and counting! 3.gif

I've found this to be a great summer,the one I dreamed about all last winter.I have caught numerous bass,only got rained out once,kayak fished twice a week since march, and met many new friends at bait shops,marinas, and on yaks.I dont mind the heat since I'm out very early,and back before it gets very hot.Yes I'm looking forward to the fall run and Montauk,but there is a little matter of august and sept.to fish through.Make the most of it because you will blink and find a SNOW shovel in your hand.

Bring it on!!! I'll take this Algor meltdown over the cold any time. It won't be long until the fall fishing is here --- followed by the dreaded winter doldrums. That Dec-Feb spell is much tougher on me than the July-Aug heatwave.

It is almost always comfortable on the beach through the night and that is the best time to be there anyway.

It's been above 90F here for most of the summer (NC). Old house, no AC...it's rough. I've been fishing a few times, everything is way deep. I'm ready for it to cool off a bit. I guess this is what will average out the nasty winter we just had.

View PostI PULLED UP A FLUKE TODAY AND I NOTICED SLIME ON IT I SCRAPED OFF SMELLED IT,OMG SP50 SUNSCREEN.kooky.gif

MurphY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fluke fished from the beach today and pummeled the fluke! It was insane. I'm resorting to fluke fishing!!!!!!! cwm27.gif

I've noticed a huge difference in catches this summer over prior. I fish the RI Sound surf from 4am to 8am most weekends and typically catch about 6 fish an hour unless I hit a frenzy. This year, I've caught only 2 or 3 the entire 4 hours!

Tide seems to play an increasing role and the majority of fish I have caught over the last month have been at or around high tide.

I suspect the water temperature is the primary factor. With luck, it will play favorably with the mini tunoids in August!