Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tuntini31

Paddle for a wilderness systems tarpon 140 angler

3 posts in this topic

Hi. I am wondering what paddle to buy for my WS tarpon 140 angler. Its the 2007 model before they changed the design. I am 5' 9" and 170.

I am not looking for a high end specialty model, just a recreational "cheap" under $100. Aqua bound 230 cm maybe? Thanks

I am 6'4" and use a 230cm, but I like a shorter than recomended paddle. I know a guy that is about the same size as you that uses a 220. Is there any way to try before you buy? Any kayak shop that is honest would let you test a couple out.

As for model, if you cant spend much, make sure you atleast get a fiberglass shaft, and avoid aluminum at all cost, and with a 100$ budget, you should be be able too. My fisrt paddle was a Carlisle Magic Plus. It had a glass shaft and plastic blades, and for 100$, it wasnt bad at all.

I'm 5'8" and preffer a 240 cm for rec boats in the 29-32" beam range. ( I believe bending branch's has a length guide on their website.)

I also preffer a glass,carbon or wood shaft. They are lighter, easier on the hands and Also make sure that it is adjustable for feather angle. Lastly, be aware of weight and blade width. Heavier paddles and or and wider blades tend to get tiring faster.

If you're on a tight(!) budget you can stop buy a local yak rental outfit. They often sell off decent used paddles for $50-$75. These will be better than those flat bladed aluminum "shovels" sold for the "pool toy" market.

That said, EMS has a $20 off sale right now. The Bending Branch's Slice Glass paddle will come in just under $100 and is a VERY good mid range paddle. Light, good durability and good blade design.