Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scorton

Looking for 9 wt. info

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm looking for some opinions on 9 wts. so I can make a better decision.

I'm looking for a fast powerful 9 wt. for beach fishing for Stripers. Using full intermediate lines and weighted flies. Heres my problem. I dont have access to cast many rods except Sage..TFO..Orvis. I have purchased a few rods on opinions in the past and found that although these rods are nice they are not what I wanted. Take the Loomis CC GLX 8 wt for example, this rod is supposed to be a very powerful rod...etc..etc. It is a great rod but I dont see it as powerful and is slower than I expected. So even though the only way to know if you like a rod is too cast it, what do you do when you cant cast all the rods you are interested in? These are the rods I would like to cast and get your opinions on: Scott STS...Burkheimer...T&T Horizon II...T&T Apex...Loomis NRX (Someday)... I really appreciate any input on this. Thank you

Scorton,

You have to settle down and take a deep breath - not trying to be condescending here but you are all over the map.

First of all the definition of "fast" is that the "lock-up-point," as the rods flexes, is more toward the tip than the mid-section. The STS doesn't meet that requirement. It is a wonderful rod that generates good line speed and a fast rebounder. BUT, its lock-up-point is more toward the middle of the rod.

Now the Xi2 #10 is a fast rod - like a stick ball bat - locks-up very fast. But no way in hell are you going to load that with a 9wt line.

Sounds to me that on one hand you want a rod to use with shooting heads - but you plan to use it with whole lines.

Maybe what you are looking for is a rod built with 55-60 msi graphite but with a taper that would be more compatible with whole lines - and be able to generate good line speed. based on that scenario I would go with the Sage Xi3 #9 or the T&T HII. Don't know the Apex.

Personally though- I would go with a med action #10 for the surf.

Herb

Burkheimerheart.gif

I have a 9 and 10 of his and love them both but they also are very different. The 10 is much faster than the 9 that I have. The 9 has a fast recovery but a more progressive action. The 9 is my overall favorite rod. Getting one however is a 'process' to put it mildly...

I'd like to try some of the new rods in the heavier weights. I'm still using RPLX's in 9 and 12 wt. and am pretty used to them by now.biggrin.gif

I don't know how well I could handle a fast action rod in heavy line sizes throwing heavy flies. With 8 wts and under I like the TCR's and TCX's.

Cheers,

Jim

Hey Drew - are you the same Drew that introduced me to Burkheimer many year ago. If so I sold the #8 and #9. still have the #10 with a second (extra fast) tip.

I would sell that also. Found them too heavy/powerful for me.

Herb

Sounds like you want a fast rod, have you tried the TCX 9wt? It is fast, but for some reason, I only "like" it. I can't put my finger on it exactly. The Orvis 9wt Tip Flex 9.5 was not as fast as expected. My favorite 9 is still the Loomis CC GLX, maybe the NRX will change that.

Tight loops and have fun trying the rods out.

View PostScorton,

You have to settle down and take a deep breath - not trying to be condescending here but you are all over the map.

First of all the definition of "fast" is that the "lock-up-point," as the rods flexes, is more toward the tip than the mid-section. The STS doesn't meet that requirement. It is a wonderful rod that generates good line speed and a fast rebounder. BUT, its lock-up-point is more toward the middle of the rod.

Now the Xi2 #10 is a fast rod - like a stick ball bat - locks-up very fast. But no way in hell are you going to load that with a 9wt line.

Sounds to me that on one hand you want a rod to use with shooting heads - but you plan to use it with whole lines.

Maybe what you are looking for is a rod built with 55-60 msi graphite but with a taper that would be more compatible with whole lines - and be able to generate good line speed. based on that scenario I would go with the Sage Xi3 #9 or the T&T HII. Don't know the Apex.

Personally though- I would go with a med action #10 for the surf.

Herb

Herb... Maybe you can educate me please... If so I truly appreciate it. I have not yet learned enough to put the proper nomenclature to things. I would like to quickly share my Cape Cod experience and hopefully put things into perspective. I fished the Cape this year with the following rods: 8 wts. Xi2...Hydros...CC Glx... Native run... Favorite rod.... 9 wt. St Croix Legend Elite. I loved this rod and it is powerful and what I would call fast action. When the wind was up and I had to put power into this rod it got it done but I thought there has to be a rod out there with more power.That is what led me to this post. I will be the first admit that I dont have the knowledge that you have but I am looking for a rod that when I put the sticks to it with a full intermediate line in a strong wind it will not hinge and have enough power to it that will get it done. The rods that I have listed are my top choices that I have read about but do not have the opportunity to cast.. except for the Burkheimer... They do have Demo rods that they send out and one is on its way to me. I just feel cheated that I cannot cast the rods that I am interested in and was looking for you guys opinion on what you liked.

Thank you

What comes to flycasting the line (head length and weight) is more important that the rod when we are after high performance. Rods have differences in length, stiffness, action and weight which all have effect to casting but less than the line.

Using 9ft rod some casters achieve their best performance with 5wt line, most with 6wt and some as heavy as 8wt line in calm conditions and using AFTM classified line which has long, up to 80ft head where their rear taper eventually finishes. That conclusion I came when I read distance casting forums. You might wander those rather light line wt:s but the total weight of the head is more that double when highest line speed is produced. That total line weight is personal level where caster approximately achieves the peak performance.

My peak is 7wt and about 430 grains because being 50 and little overweight I am more strong than fast.

When fishing in salt higher line weight is an advantage because of windy conditions and often flys have a lot of wind resistance and some weight too. Therefore I like to use heavier line that I can comfortably cast with 9ft rod so I prefer shorter. Haul increase line speed the same despite the rod length but haul can be so strong that rod hand gives if rod is long and has long lever wrist can hold. My shortest SH salt rods are only 7ft and I do not loose much distance because of it but fishing is very light.

View PostHey Drew - are you the same Drew that introduced me to Burkheimer many year ago. If so I sold the #8 and #9. still have the #10 with a second (extra fast) tip.

I would sell that also. Found them too heavy/powerful for me.

Herb

Yes, that's me. How have you been?

That's what I liked about them. I can't remember the last time I used something other than a Burkheimer. I also have yet to find a rod that casts better for me than they do.

Thank you guys for your input!

I need to find the place where I can experiment with different rods and lines until I nail down what works for me. I have purchased too much good equipment up to this point only to be disappointed. I know I will figure it out but it always helps to talk to a good group of guys like yourselves that have already been there and done it. I do appreciate your advice... Thanks again

Scorton,

Like James, I would recommend trying a Sage TCX in 9 and 10 wt. The seven is extremely light and powerful though I have not tried the heavier ones. There should be plenty of shops stocking them.

Cheers,

Jim