Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deltap327

Musings

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

It's a little sad to see what is happening lately. It seems obvious that many people (especially newcomers) use these forums as a source of information when starting out and/or wanting to try something new.

They are obviously wanting information that they can feel confident with.

I surmise that most could really care less how many total rods a particular poster has built or how many per day/week/month/year that they build. Mass production of anything does not equate to quality. Constantly contradicting all of what are, widely accepted methods, does no more than generate confusion.

Some examples of my musings are:

Epoxies ability to cure are not affected by humiditity. They cure as a result of exothermic action. This follows certain laws of physics. One poster provided examples of this with photos and still was told that he was wrong. Some epoxies are actually marketed for underwater repairs.

Engineering principles dictate that spiral wrapped casting and trolling type rods are more stable than conventional (guides on top) rods. The guides are, in effect, moment arms. Even if you subscribe to the spine theory, the spine is on the circumference of the blank, whereas the guides are beyond that. It's much like stating that you could tighten as bolt as tight with your fingers as you can with a wrench. The wrench is a moment arm.

My opinion of why rod manufacturers do not make all of their rods spiral is simply that the extra few minutes involved is a cost to them. Also their primary market is to people that are not interested how the the rod is

configured, but in taking it to the water and having fun, plus the average

fishermans opinion is probably "That looks goofy".

I would be interested in, and receptive to any engineering and/or physics principles ie. facts to disprove the above statements.

Opinions and/or marketing are not facts.

Finally, I do not know Billy V. personally, but via some past emails that we exchanged, I feel that he is one of the most sharing people around, when it comes to rod building. Even if one does not like him, that cannot be taken away. It seems that the majority on this forum are also that way. It's inevitable, I suppose, that some one will come along and disrupt the

information sharing, but I also think some individuals would walk to the corner and argue with the street sign.

I think that I have a general understanding. It's just that after so much, I had to open my big mouth. I feel that most, who are searching for quality information, can see through most of it. At least I hope so.

good post D.

I have been curious about this new poster's motives. His grasp of custom rodbuilding isn't evident from his posts but he seems to be here fishing for customers.

I'm not a pro myself, but if I was, I would be here providing good information and showing pics of quality innovative work. Crazy is ok if it is supported by info, look at billy!cwm27.gif

Maybe it is just a sign that people are watching too much reality tv.

Very well said. There are those here whose opinions I respect mostly because that they have proven that their opinions are based on common sense, scientific procedure and more inportantly they went out a tried a number of times. In addition there are plenty here that do make money at this craft yet still come out here and give away free information. If you have ever attended a nerbs meeting you would be amazing at how much some people are willing to share info and tips. Guys bring rods they are working on and people help them with them and show them how to finish it. Trying bringing you car to your mechanic and getting that kind of service.

The sharing is the way it's supposed to be, Being a bragger.. Not so much, though we have plenty of both. As far as NERBS and I hope I'm not talking out of school, I beleive were kind of set up to be an info highway kind of group that continues to grow. I truly beleive that without having people like Billy and the gang I would have given up building by now just due to becoming stagnet. These guys give me ideas, motivation and freindship I could not have in my rod room by myself or online.

As far as the info given about different rods and components, Doing it and proving it to.. Yourself is all you need! Bragging how great you are and being the best and not sharing any "real" info shows me a blow hard stirring trouble. To understand all of the " trouble" you would need to go to other rod boards in the past, You would see the What, Why and How come..

I'm done with it.... I'm just glad that it's not just a few that see it!! The tiger is showing it's stripes!!

I count myself as blessed to be involved with the NERBs. The knowledge that is freely shared and the comaraderie amongst a great group of guys is truly a revalation to someone who has been building for 20 years or so.

I joined this forum on the recommendation of Billy and Looney and have had a great experience, that is until the site changed in June. Now I find myself part of the problem, when my intention was simply to dispel some of the crazy myths that are being propogated here.

My appologies to Salt and Tim - this can't be easy.

Interestingly enough , the movie "One flew over the Cookoo's Nest" just happens to be on TV while I read the forum now! smile.gif I keep getting confused as to whether my input is coming from the TV or computer screen at any given moment . smile.gif

Just remember , "The Darkest Hour is Just Before Dawn." cool.gif

Were all part of the problem Direwolf. We get the silly rod building guru treating us like we know nothing and if we speak out or against we get a hand slap. Is it easy for Salt or Tim?.. No! I told Salt in a PM exactly what to look forward to at least a month or so ago.. I also told him I would not post on here. But.. There is no other rod build site like this though so ... here I am getting caught up in Ken Jones moon.gif BS again. I'm going to ignore his posts from now on and hope that this forum doesn't bite the dust!!

View PostInterestingly enough , the movie "One flew over the Cookoo's Nest" just happens to be on TV while I read the forum now! smile.gif I keep getting confused as to whether my input is coming from the TV or computer screen at any given moment . smile.gif

Just remember , "The Darkest Hour is Just Before Dawn." cool.gif

I'm watching it as well.. I've been giving my meds to Direwolf....

YOu wouldhope people can distinguish good info from bad info, but that is not the case. That's why we all have to waste time counteracting th stupidity that migratd onto SOL from a couple of other sites. The funny thing is we keeep asking for proof of this and proof of that - yet we all miseed the only thing that has proven is how ignorant, illogical, and un-knowledgeable one is about their profession. We all need that in the craft though, because there are a lot of people out there who want a custom rod that doesn't have epoxy glued all over th guide frames to keep the inserts in place.

View PostI.

I would be interested in, and receptive to any engineering and/or physics principles ie. facts to disprove the above statements.

Opinions and/or marketing are not facts.

Excuse me, but I think your musings are not as worthy of becoming dogma as you think and seem intended to squash dissent/discussion/and learning.

Obviously moisture does not effect the hardening of epoxy. However, it most definitely DOES effect the surface quality of the finish ( at least if the manufacturers of the product are to be believed). You can harden your guide coatings any where you want as long as you do not care what they look like, but shouldn't your post make that clear as well to beginners?

As for spiral wraps, your logic using physical principles is flawed when it comes to casting rods since ignores the fact that major forces and stresses on a rod occur during casting which are equal to or often greater than those encountered while fighting a fish. Now I have no experience with spiral wrapped rods, but I do have a significant amount of experience casting both spinning and conventional surf rods (40 years worth) and I am concerned the torsional forces that make big spinners want to twist during a cast will reappear on a conventional surf rod with a spiral wrap. Consider that with a surf rod you will make hundreds of full power casts for each fish you catch and explain to me which torsional forces are more important....those while casting vs those while fighting a fish. I don't think you can.....so ultimately it will come down to experience and opinion and both those are often more useful than the partial logic or selective science you advocate instead.

Hence I am happy with just the way this forum goes. I'll listen to what people have to say, factor it against what I think I've learned, then wrap a rod and see how it comes out.