Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Bigdeal

Temps......Warm Water......and Fishin'.

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

IMO, this year the season got off to an unusual start with bait migration and preditors moving in early. Seems everything was ahead of schedule a bit and the fishing was terriffic.

Now that the heat has arrived and rising water temps. making this one of the hottest seasons on record maybe this early start wasn't just by coincidence........

Do ya think they knew the heat was comming.......?

Did they migrate early for a reason or just follow the bait as usual....?

Will the fall migration start later this year as it takes water temps. longer to cool....?

Opinions..........

I think they do what they do.

1. Bait is one explanation but what about pods of bunker unmolested, is water temp too high?

2. Water temp too high? Bass were pounding bunker in 78 degree water this year at the mouth of RB to Breezy Point?

3. I don't know. You choose.

Fall- Sometimes they do not even come in along the coast?

My opinion all the destruction that they did to the jetties and beaches though " conservation- read conserving sand " and beach replenishment destroyed a year round food source and a place to hide (structure) so they just travel up and down the coast following bait as they feel like it.

Makes for a real great fishery, next year I'll just get a super powered pick up truck, long range binoculars and just race everyone to the few pods of big fish that hit land along the coast each year. I like NASCAR anyway.

That said I caught more and bigger stripers than any other year so can not complain too much. Its just a shame to see notched jetties and bowls of putred contaminated sand. Sad, kind of like those old American Indian commercials with the chief crying over all the garbage. I was not even around for that era of jetties and miss it.

Good point..........maybe if the NE is peppered with a few storms in the future, maybe the jettys will be back / re-constructed....but I agree, the stopping off, bait gathering points of the past in some cases are much forgotten and gone now....just look at the once "Famed Entrance to Sandy Hook".

But, migrations of fish due to food source and amount of light as normal as that might seem the prevailing water temp. enters another factor .....IMO.