Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Martmania

Penn 710Z Bail issue

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

My 10 yr old son bought a 710Z reel that he uses salt water fishing in SW FL.

The reel has developed a problem where when you cast the bail does not go back to the reel position when cranked. I have checked on Surftalk and did see a photo someone posted and the spring is in the correct position. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

sounds like the bail spring got disengaged from the bail. The spring has a little pin on it that goes into a hole on the side of the bail, its where the bail spring attaches to the bail and makes it snap down when reeling. When you flip the bail up it locks right? when you reel does the bail get dislodged from the bail lock arm? if so its the spring. If not it may be the bail trip mechanism under the spool. Do a test where you flip the bail up but dont lock it, let go and see if it snaps down. If it does its not the spring but the bail trip. If it doesnt snap down, its the bail spring. Its a PITA to get the spring loaded right and the bail screwed back on right. If you are having issues send it to me i will fix it for you. Just pay shipping.

View Postsounds like the bail spring got disengaged from the bail. The spring has a little pin on it that goes into a hole on the side of the bail, its where the bail spring attaches to the bail and makes it snap down when reeling. When you flip the bail up it locks right? when you reel does the bail get dislodged from the bail lock arm? if so its the spring. If not it may be the bail trip mechanism under the spool. Do a test where you flip the bail up but dont lock it, let go and see if it snaps down. If it does its not the spring but the bail trip. If it doesnt snap down, its the bail spring. Its a PITA to get the spring loaded right and the bail screwed back on right. If you are having issues send it to me i will fix it for you. Just pay shipping.

wanna do my 710z, 712z, 704z and make my 712z bailess lol! i'm having the most difficult time with these springs!!!!!!!

View Postwanna do my 710z, 712z, 704z and make my 712z bailess lol! i'm having the most difficult time with these springs!!!!!!!

hfb, sure buddy anything for the SOLers. PM me i will give ya my cell#.

Hi, I was reading this while trying to figure out the same problem with my Penn 710z reels, I have found one trick that helps a little. On the 710z there is an o-ring on the bearing retainer that obstructs the hold back, removing the o-ring gives better engagement, a better fix is getting the older greenie 710 bearing retainer that does not have a raised lip.
This might not solve the entire problem but it will help quite a bit.

99 percent of the time the bail wire is bent. Remove the small nut on the end of the roller side with a 1/4” nut driver. If the bail wire isn’t perfectly aligned it will never work right.

What Handi ^ says, and also I've found on the old Penn styles that "washers" that get bolted down to the reel body on both ends of the bail need to be pretty squared up and close to the final position at the female threaded posts by working the bail wire so that when they are screwed down they are not being forced or torqued to being square with the reel body.

Bail.jpg