Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
55chev

Brocolli

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

That's ready to cut. If you leave it any longer, it will start to go to flower and get bitter.

Cut out the main head, and leave the plant. You should get side shoots within a few weeks. They will be much smaller than the main head, but gives you more harvest from the plant, and are quite tasty (sometimes better than the main head.)

After a second "harvest", pull the plants and put in something else like lettuce or radishes for a fall crop in that space. Or, IF you can get them (I can't here, few places have or offer stuff like that for a fall planting kooky.gif ), plant well established seedings of brocolli for a fall harvest.

For brocolli or other cole crops, most years you have well into November for a fall planting to mature in Mass, maybe even into December if you are right along the coast.

And BTW, that looks VERY good, and am impressed by the relative lack of insect damage to the leaves (there is a bit, but not much at all).......mine is long gone and had gone to flower already in late June. I run into that probblem every year, as my spring crop of brocolli isn't quite ready when I leave for Hatteras, and after two weeks when I come back, it is past it's prime.

View Postmine is long gone and had gone to flower already in late June. I run into that probblem every year, as my spring crop of brocolli isn't quite ready when I leave for Hatteras, and after two weeks when I come back, it is past it's prime.

Can you plant them later?

That broccoli looks good! We can't grow broccoli this time of year - too hot. It is a spring crop for us. I like to peel the stalk with a potato peeler and cut it into strips for salad or snacks (raw). Same with cauliflower (although that stalk is tougher to cut up). Give it a try!

View PostCan you plant them later?

I suppose I could, but don't like to, as most cole crops are generally cool weather crops. That is one of the reasons why I am so surprised that Chev's look so good, as generally by this time of year, brocolli is not a "happy camper."

Perhaps next year I will put off setting it out by 3 weeks or so and see what happens, cause as it stands now, I'm not getting a decent crop due to my absence when it is ready anyway.

And I really should try to remember to start a fall crop from seed in six packs in late June so I have seedlings in August, but I ALWAYS forget......redface.gif (Generally, brocolli takes about 7-8 weeks from seed until you set it out.)

Oh, and BTW, it is "broccoli" not "brocolli"

I have a mental block on that for some reason and always forget whether it is double "l" or double "c".....redface.gifbeatin.gifhammer-time.gif

View Postmmmmmmmmm... that's perfect! throw some cheese on it and you're good!drool.gif

We did just that very thing last night for dinner! drool.gifdrool.gif I cut 7 heads yesterday and the remaining 5 should be ready in the next few days. Some of the plants that I cut the main stalk on are already growing side shoots, so it looks like we'll be cutting broccoli for some time to come!

Kept some more out to cook for my son today (he ate a good amount last night). He was the main reason I decided to grow it in the first place. 17 months old, his favorite veggie is broccoli, go figure. He's been eating about 1 1/2 lbs. per week (frozen florets). Good for him but it can get rough in the diaper department!wink.gif The rest will get blanched, vac sealed and frozen.

Steve, I have the same block with the spelling as well redface.gif , but you get the point! wink.gif Thanks for the input.

Also, as far as the bug damage, I get very little leaf damage from insects. The only thing I have been spraying have been the maters with copper. Up until this year, I have never sprayed anything, and have never "lost" a plant to the bugs. I did notice yesterday though, a slug on one of my spaghetti squashes mad.gif . I will apply some anti slug pellets today and a couple cookie sheets with beer for the little effers!

Thanks again!

Hey Steve,

If you're looking for broccoli that's already started, try the Farmer's Daughter in Auburn, Ma. They have everything and they are extremely reasonable! Last time I was there, they had 4 different varieties of broccoli, I think for $ 2.79 per 6-pack. Just a thought if you're interested. It's a beautiful nursery!