Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
misha

Shrink wrap over cork tape?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I just bought factory rod (used) and thinking of installing x-flock shrink wrap on handle. I've never done anything to the rod myself except replacing of tip-top.

So my question is: is it ok to apply shrink tube over existing cork tape and heat it up or should I remove the cork tape prior?

And how do I remove foam grip that right under the reel seat and then put it back?headscratch.gif

Thanks.

Sir, often we use cork tape as a base for the Xflock. It actually is a good base. It might look good if you double wrap black over each end just to seal it and make it look good, but if you do nothing it will work fine.

Its going to be easy to put the shrink wrap over the cork tape.

Its not going to be easy to play with the "foam grips.

Any way to get the shrink wrap on without having to disturb the foam? Any way to just shave off the foam and fill in where it was then shrink wrap over the whole length?

Anyway , without a picture I am envisioning some 2 to 3 inch sections of "foam" above and below the reel seat. Is that correct? If yes , I don't think they are worth the bother. Try just starting the shrink wrap right next to the foam so you don't ahve to deal with it. Or cut it off and shrink wrap over it.

Thank you. You're exactly correct about locations of foam grips. I don't think I want to shave them off.

What diameter of shrink tube should I order if rod's handle is about 25mm in diameter?

tx.

Just get bthe next size bigger than the grip at its fattest point. 25mm maybe try the 1 18 or the 1 3/8.

Stuff shrinks a lot but i like the smallest unshrunk tube that will fit over the biggest handle OD spot.

Misha,

I would recommend spraying adhesive on the cork tape before slipping the shrink-tubing on. And use a heat gun and move in one direction (start at reel seat and work towards butt end) to prevent air bubbles in the middle. Take your time and don't let the blank overheat or it could melt- remember the last 4" is exposed aluminum, and there is at least 6" more inside the blank so it could heat up quick. Good luck & enjoy the rod.wink.gif