Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jfred36

Reel Suggestions

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Looking for a good Baitcasting Reel for the Surf that can also be used for jigging/trolling.

Plan on using braid and then a top shot of Mono.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

there are other factors that you didn't mention, mainly quarry size and if bait or plug or both, but my personal faves are ...

if levelwind not required, avet sx mc - this reel can do it all from surf to boat and then some. any fishy size, too. i load with 20# mono only, but the reel is braid friendly.

if levelwind required, there are sooo many good options, starting with the venerable abu lineup. i use abu 6601 and 5601 c4's, daiwa 253 and 300 lefty lunas, and a neat daiwa advantage lefty for the flats, bay and inshore estuaries. just pick a lw size comenserate to the kinda fishies you seek. above all, have fun.

I dont own one but have heard much good said about the abu revo toro 60 - if you budget allows. I posted a similar question once. I am perfectly happy with my 30 year old abu 6500C in a level wind, squidder jr. 146 in non level wind. Its no longer made but The Penn 146 comes up on the auction site now and then.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I was originally thinking of the Abu Garcia Big Game 10000i as I wanted to have the max amount of capacity.

Application is Jacks, small Dorado, Smaller Yellow Tail Tuna when trolling and what ever I run into when surf fishing.

I will check out the reels you have suggested. Thanks!

View PostI dont own one but have heard much good said about the abu revo toro 60 - if you budget allows. I posted a similar question once. I am perfectly happy with my 30 year old abu 6500C in a level wind, squidder jr. 146 in non level wind. Its no longer made but The Penn 146 comes up on the auction site now and then.

I've got the revo toro 60HS - light (15oz) and very strong (22lbs drag)

Only downside is price, otherwise Daiwa saltist and abu 6500

View PostI've got the revo toro 60HS - light (15oz) and very strong (22lbs drag)

Only downside is price, otherwise Daiwa saltist and abu 6500

How does the Saltist Cast? This one looks good as far as capacity goes. So it looks like it would be a great boat reel. Just wondering how it would be when fishing from the beach. Thanks!

Do you know the Drag capabilities of the Saltist? Looking at the levelwind version 40 or 50HA

Thanks!

Looks like the saltist 40 and 50s would be pretty heavy. Not sure how much plug/lure fishing I would do...but I think these would be great from the boat jigging, trolling.

Well I am off to BassPro and see if I can get my hands on some of these. Will also check out the Abu Garcia.

Go with the Avet. I just picked up an SX, and an LX both with the

mc cast. Great reels, and they are built really solid. I have the SX

hooked up to an 8'6" st croix premier, and i'm really having fun casting

into the surf with it. I havent matched up the LX to nothin yet, but

that is coming. The LX is heavier of course. I had it spooled with 300yds

of 40lb mono. This reel is ready to play with the bigger fish off the boat,

but I will play with it from the surf too. The cast control is excellent.

Not perfect, but for a newer caster with conventionals like me it saves

alot of backlashes. Checkem out, you'll be impressed.

i've got a new avet sx mc on an 8'6" albright 1-2oz travel 4pc casting rod - really nice combo for plugging - the sx mc will help casting beginners and it's killer for us old surf salts. for baiting it'll go on a 2pc 10' ugly stick that's 6-12oz.

My abu 7000 (bought through BST here, modified by someone or other for a smoother/faster spin) is the perfect size for use on night headboats out of King's Point or surf bait casting use.

I filled mine up with all mono though (well, copolymer, 20 or 30# Jinkai). Gets the job done, at any rate.

View PostGo with the Avet. I just picked up an SX, and an LX both with the

mc cast. Great reels, and they are built really solid.

View Postif levelwind not required, avet sx mc - this reel can do it all from surf to boat and then some. any fishy size, too.

Another vote for the AVET. Either sx, mxj, or mxl depending on capacity needs.

View PostThank for all the suggestions. I like the Avets but a bit to much $$...so I think I am going to go with the Saltist. I feel I get alot of bang for the buck.

right now, you can get the avet sx for goodly less than any saltist ...

addendum - the sx is far lighter (14oz vs 23oz) and, imho, a far better reel to boot.