Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1MoreCast

Lake George, 24th-28th

7 posts in this topic

Ok, so as for freshwater Im clueless pretty much. Im bringing what few pieces of tackle I have for the lake, which are various colored senkos, small spinners. I've never been to the lake before im going for my girlfriends family reunion. Should I invest in getting a boat or conoe to get into the lake or can I get away with sticking to the shore. Anything special I should know about the lake, ie. what works better lure wise. I understand the structure thing as with most fish and to fish the weeds and lily pads and stuff. Any help would be mucho mucho appreciated. Thanks

the lake will be busy with boaters and the water will be warm. I fished there a few years back this time of year with live bait and did well with small mouth, a few large mouth and pickerel. I fished deep from a row boat near the island off of Tea Island resort. most fish will be deep. fish early in the morning when the boat traffic is light and late in the afternoon early evening. spoons with a trailer will work. check in at the bait shop just north of Lake George village for the best local knowledge. they have free maps that show you where the best fishing is on the lake and the species. don't forget the license, they are checking.

If you have a boat or canoe the boat traffic really doesnt bother the smallies on Lake George. Early or late you can try the usual shallow water spots but throughout the day camp on rockpiles and grass beds in 30-60 feet of water. Drop a tube or a spider jig strait to the bottom. It may take you a few times to find the sweet spot but once you do you may not have to move for hours. If bait is your thing get some crayfish or small minnows. Use a tiny hook and a spilt shot or two. Same technique drop it to the bottom and hold on. You will catch smallies, LM,rock bass, sunfish and yellow perch predominantly.Good luck. The FHS map is all you really need there are a million of similar areas and most produce.

Just got back from a vacation on the lake a couple hours ago, was on the water everyday this past week.

Black senkos, wacky rigged are our go-to rig up there, our group of 2 adults and 3-4 kids caught upwards of 20 bass a day up to 18.5" in only a few hours using them. we did catch fish on almost everything we threw at them though (black senkos were best, then green pumpkin, "live impact" baits were pretty good, too. Also caught on rapalas, mepps spinners and live bait, but the black senkos out-caught everything- and you will go through a lot unless you use one of those o-ring rigs...)

Fish were suspended in 25-45 ft of water, about 10 - 15 feet off the bottom, concentrated over weeds or rock piles.

Boat/canoe/kayak seems to be almost a necessity up there, although you can catch some fish from docks and whatnot, but we've always had much better luck in a boat (been going up there for 10 yrs). I have heard that the pier in the town of lake george where the cruise ships dock is very good at night though, too.

what part of the lake are you staying on? I have a few good spots by bolton landing I could give you a head's up on, we fish huddle bay, predominantly.

View PostIf you have a boat or canoe the boat traffic really doesnt bother the smallies on Lake George. Early or late you can try the usual shallow water spots but throughout the day camp on rockpiles and grass beds in 30-60 feet of water. Drop a tube or a spider jig strait to the bottom. It may take you a few times to find the sweet spot but once you do you may not have to move for hours. If bait is your thing get some crayfish or small minnows. Use a tiny hook and a spilt shot or two. Same technique drop it to the bottom and hold on. You will catch smallies, LM,rock bass, sunfish and yellow perch predominantly.Good luck. The FHS map is all you really need there are a million of similar areas and most produce.

View PostJust got back from a vacation on the lake a couple hours ago, was on the water everyday this past week.

Black senkos, wacky rigged are our go-to rig up there, our group of 2 adults and 3-4 kids caught upwards of 20 bass a day up to 18.5" in only a few hours using them. we did catch fish on almost everything we threw at them though (black senkos were best, then green pumpkin, "live impact" baits were pretty good, too. Also caught on rapalas, mepps spinners and live bait, but the black senkos out-caught everything- and you will go through a lot unless you use one of those o-ring rigs...)

Fish were suspended in 25-45 ft of water, about 10 - 15 feet off the bottom, concentrated over weeds or rock piles.

Boat/canoe/kayak seems to be almost a necessity up there, although you can catch some fish from docks and whatnot, but we've always had much better luck in a boat (been going up there for 10 yrs). I have heard that the pier in the town of lake george where the cruise ships dock is very good at night though, too.

what part of the lake are you staying on? I have a few good spots by bolton landing I could give you a head's up on, we fish huddle bay, predominantly.

agreed