Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mainiac

Transition time.

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Right about now lobsters will be migrating from mud bottom to rock bottom.they do this to find cover from predators,like stripers. These are new soft shelled bugs and stripers really love them.The hard part is to immitate a lobster.There are a few lobster patterns around but I've never had a whole lot of success on them.

I've been attempting to come up with a suitable fly but have not had much success.

I would think that a large rubber crayfish lure would work well for you spinning guys.Put it on a 1oz jig head and work the edges of the ledges.smile.gif

When they are keying on Lobsters I found they will still eat a Needlefish or other shallow water rock bottom offering so long as they are feeding and not just holding.This is where putting the time in comes into play.

.I've also done well w/ a 3/4 oz jettycaster w/ pork rind trailer in red/white.

Saw the Hogy Lobster and the thing is a dead ringer.

Casting and presentation and hooking the fish is another story.

View PostWhen they are keying on Lobsters I found they will still eat a Needlefish or other shallow water rock bottom offering so long as they are feeding and not just holding.This is where putting the time in comes into play.

.I've also done well w/ a 3/4 oz jettycaster w/ pork rind trailer in red/white.

Saw the Hogy Lobster and the thing is a dead ringer.

Casting and presentation and hooking the fish is another story.

So is financing! I saw one last night-12 bucks? I think jig n pig is the correct alternative!

i tied some big black and red jigs for this year. I am determined to get a bass looking for lobsters.

on the ledges I will toss an unweighted sluggo up on a rock as a wave is washing over it and then let the receding wave movement bring the sluggo back into the 'drop' where a bass or 2 is waiting for an easy meal. it's kinda tough for everything to come together for this style of fishing but when it comes together the results can be good. I don't think the fish are fooled into thinking this is a bait fish. I think they are fooled by small lobsters being tossed around. I could be wrong but who cares. It's fun!