Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fish'nmagician

Linda McMahon and Pro Wrestling

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

I saw a TV spot for her political run today, and it left me headscratch.gif .

Two soccer moms in a Mcnifty looking minivan discussing McMahon. One seemed concerned about the WWE and the other rolled her eyes and dismissed all the antics as "Soap Opera" and there have been antics.

Yes the Vince Infidelity, the kidnapped daughter and all the other drama should be waived off as nonsense. But the record of the Company she has helped run for decades SHOULD be reviewed.

I think it's a terrible industry that has chewed most of the employees up and spit them out.

The encouraged drug usage,

the mortality rates,

and the dangerous stunts

The numbers don't lie, and I think BEYOND her campaign someone needs to look into their business,

I doubt any other industry in America has such a terrible track record for employee health and safety. (and mortality rate)

View PostI saw a TV spot for her political run today, and it left me headscratch.gif .

Two soccer moms in a Mcnifty looking minivan discussing McMahon. One seemed concerned about the WWE and the other rolled her eyes and dismissed all the antics as "Soap Opera" and there have been antics.

Yes the Vince Infidelity, the kidnapped daughter and all the other drama should be waived off as nonsense. But the record of the Company she has helped run for decades SHOULD be reviewed.

I think it's a terrible industry that has chewed most of the employees up and spit them out.

The encouraged drug usage,

the mortality rates,

and the dangerous stunts

The numbers don't lie, and I think BEYOND her campaign someone needs to look into their business,

I doubt any other industry in America has such a terrible track record for employee health and safety. (and mortality rate)

As an old-school wrasslin fan - I agree.

I knew she was already investigated, I'm assuming this the latest on the WWE investigation.

Congressman Bobby Rush Confirms That Investigations of WWE Are Dead

Published March 16, 2010 Uncategorized1 Comment

The office of Congressman Bobby Rush of Illinois, chair of the House Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer Protection, has finally confirmed to me that he is doing nothing to back up his bluster at a February 26, 2008, hearing of the subcommittee, which Vince McMahon and World Wrestling Entertainment blew off.

Two years ago, Rush - playing kleig-light catch-up to Henry Waxman's House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform hearings on steroids in sports - summoned the heads of all the major professional sports leagues and their talent unions. Rush also invited McMahon, who declined; WWE's outside lawyer and Washington lobbyist, Jerry McDevitt, was busy at a trial in Pennsylvania.

Rush said, "I am exceptionally and extremely disappointed.... The number of deaths in the professional wrestling ranks is startling to say the least. The tragedy of Chris Benoit has been well documented. I want to assure Mr. McMahon that this committee fully intends to deal with the illegal steroid abuse in professional wrestling. And we hope he will be part of the solution and not part of the problem."

Vince and Linda McMahon already had been interviewed behind closed doors by Waxman's Oversight Committee staff. Those transcripts were not released until January 2009, when Waxman was moving from Oversight to the chair of the House Energy Committee (which happens to be the parent of Rush's subcommittee).

In his recent investigation for Hearst newspapers in Connecticut, reporter Brian Lockhart reviewed Waxman's request to the White House National Office of Drug Control Policy to follow up on the matter, and how no one in Washington did.

Today Rush's communications director, Sharon Jenkins, emailed me: "Briefly stated, other than continued review by subcommittee staff of the monitoring and enforcement practices of WWE and other professional sports leagues, there are no plans, at this time, for further hearings or congressional actions on this subject."

Briefly stated, Lockhart's conclusion that the federal legislative and executive branches "dropped the ball" is looking pretty accurate.

Irv Muchnick

Linda was more of a money person for the business.

Vince was the guy pushing the roids and treating the wrestlers like ****.

Linda was doing a bunch of the business end and she was usually the person to answer to the stock holders.

Its an ungly business, but not one that I would discredit a person because they worked in it.

View Post

Its an ungly business, but not one that I would discredit a person because they worked in it.

why not?

and I would submit the business got WORSE because of the McMahons.

If you are saying it's an UGLY business, then what does it say about the people who came out on top?

They consolidated and pushed out a diversified industry till they alone stood on top. It doesn't seem like they eliminated the competition by being more "employee friendly". It seems they pushed their guys to bulk up with roids, and perform more and more dangerous stunts that they were unqualified to perform, and without adaquate safety measures.

go thru a list of WWF/WWE "Superstars" who are now dead.

View Postwhy not?

If you are saying it's an UGLY business, then what does it say about the people who came out on top?

They consolidated and pushed out a diversified industry till they alone stood on top. It doesn't seem like they eliminated the competition by being more "employee friendly". It seems they pushed their guys to bulk up with roids, and perform more and more dangerous stunts that they were unqualified to perform, and without adaquate safety measures.

True - if it were any other company or even any other professional sports league or franchise, you would have had at least more than a few congressional inquiries.

They don't get investgated because Vince declared wrestling as entertainment, therefore exempt from state laws regulating pro atheletic events.

My dad was a ringside physician (one of several) for NJ Boxing and Wrestling back in the 60's and 70's.

By law - back then - Pro Wrestlers were covered under the same regulations governing boxing.

When Boxing began testing for drugs and the Fed was ready to rip the lid off a few drug death scandals in boxing, Vince said - "We're not boxing, we're not pro sports.... We're Ice Capades..."

Their track record on steriods and their "not my problem" attitude about it, is all I need to know about the integrity of these people. They appear to have no problem amassing a fortune knowing that only the streroid users could make it in their business.

Just check out the interview of Vince with Bob Costas on the issue, McMahon gets out the the chair and threatens to beat up Costas for asking about this.

McMahon's fortune is blood money.

View Postwhy not?

Because not every aspect of the business is ugly. IMO only a portion of it is. All the business stuff though is fine.

View PostBecause not every aspect of the business is ugly.

making a fortune by pushing people to early graves is about as ugly as it's gonna get.

they OWN the wrestlers,

their names/gimmicks/likenesses they OWN these people.....

top name "stars" working for years end up with very little.

not sure what aspect of their business you seek to excuse.

they use people like a disposable commodity.

View PostTheir track record on steriods and their "not my problem" attitude about it, is all I need to know about the integrity of these people. They appear to have no problem amassing a fortune knowing that only the streroid users could make it in their business.

Just check out the interview of Vince with Bob Costas on the issue, McMahon gets out the the chair and threatens to beat up Costas for asking about this.

McMahon's fortune is blood money.

Thats also in the past. They have a drug policy now and get tested frequently. They have had this policy for a few years now.

They are also a PG format show now and have been for a while.

Again, show the evidence that Linda was involved in any of the bad stuff.

WWE has people working for them from fortune 500 companies. Its a huge business. Most of the business people in the company are not remotely related to any of the bad stuff

View Postmaking a fortune by pushing people to early graves is about as ugly as it's gonna get.

they OWN the wrestlers,

their names/gimmicks/likenesses they OWN these people.....

top name "stars" working for years end up with very little.

not sure what aspect of their business you seek to excuse.

they use people like a disposable commodity.

They are not forcing anyone to do anything.

Take a look at the injury rates of other sports. a study a few years back showed almost every other major port has more injury problems then wrestling.

I think the business had a few bad years, but has redeemed its self IMO

View PostThey are not forcing anyone to do anything.

Take a look at the injury rates of other sports. a study a few years back showed almost every other major port has more injury problems then wrestling.

1. can't that be used to argue EVERY illegal labor practice there is? Nobody forced the 7 year olds to work, nobody FORCED them to work in the plant knee deep in carcinogens etc. etc. etc.

2. I'd like to see that report. The mortality rate for wrestling is staggering,

I doubt ANY other industry can rival their numbers.