Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
supertuna

Bucktails...?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hey, I am looking at jigging for BFT (Black fin tuna) with a sustain 4000FE paired with a teramar 7' MH XF rod cool.gif and 30LB (20LB? Only reason for 20 is more line... confused.gif ) SW code red braid. I'm down in Grenada and am wondering if Bucktails work? I'm looking at the Spro Jigs in Glow, White, and Bunker. Would those work? Thanks! smile.gif TB2

Ive got no experience with tuna fishing so I dont know about the whole bucktail thing ( have never heard of people using them myself). But my guess would be that the hooks on the SPROs wouldnt hold up to a blackfin..?

My buddy, Larry is an avid 'tuna hunter' He has caught many in his time. Several years ago he approached me about bucktailn' for tuna. Bottom line he has been catchn' them on a regular basis on bucktails. Larry prefers white, usually 3 - 4 -5 oz with minimally 8/0 M hook. They do catch. highfive.gif

Thanks! I am Probably Targeting medium sized BFT but I'm not sure. I'm hoping that none will exceed 40LB. Hopefully 10-20LB, 30 being the max. As I'm targeting them with a Teramar 7' MH XF rod (not intended for jigging... I think.? confused.gif ) and a Sustain 4000, I don't think I will be able to lift 40LB tunas up from the depths. But spooling it with 30LB will allow me to put 7.5LBs of drag on the fish and 525 feet of line, which should be enough considering that I will be jigging in 190' max (I think...?). Thanks again! smile.gif TB2