Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
speedwell

ABU6500C question

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Been given a few old reels from a friend (father passed away). Trying to figure out what I have before I strip and clean them (not looking for value - deal is I cannot sell them - they must be fished). The Penn 49 and 309M aren't a big deal but there are so many Abus I am lost. This is a 6500C Ambasssadeur, made in Sweden (probably late 60s to early 70s). Foot ID is 51203. Silver body. Is this old enough to have bushings vs bearings? Giving serious thought to simply sending it out and having it rebuilt. I would hate to chuck into the surf with this and have it break. (Bye bye friendship)

Regards

70726f647563742f623534323430313533312e4a

Hio. It's probably got rippled black side plates, nice heavy chrome over brass frame. Unless someone's been inside, you have the rolls-royce of ball bearings.....French-made radiussed ones, outer race rounded over like a donut. Hopefully you can salvage those, with chemicals and good oil.

You can still get internals for this unit. (Drag washers, springs, shims, ball bearing caps, etc.)

The handle end is identical to Ken's second picture. Same single paddle handle, "High Speed" sticker and red sticker on the handle counterweight. Coloring is identical to JimmyZ picture. Silver brushed end plates and a black spool. It was originally filled with stainless wire for trolling. Came on a rod that looked like a short telephone pole. Actually the rods for the Penn 49 (BIG REEL!) and the 309M look like poles too compared to my Lami 1322. Thanks for the help. Rick's dad was quite a guy (he was the Assistant Deputy Minister for Materiel in the Department of National Defence - I dealt with the present one, Dan Ross, a lot on my last billet before I retired as I was the contract manager for the combat system rebuild on the 12 Halifax class frigates) and I would like to treat his gear with respect. I will look inside later today when I have a mo.

Regards

Wayne

Rodger your reel's ID, Wayne. You'll have no worries getting it redone. Sight unseen, it will most likely only need a new set of drag washers, a line pawl, and a deep sani. Rarely: a new line shoud, line carriage, anything else.

Check the inside of the line carriage for hacksaw grooves as seen in tip tops on low end spin rods, and for a flat spot on the top where it rides in the milled slot on the frame.

This area is usually missed by most rodsters, and can cause short casts as the square part stalls in the slot.

to check for burrs because of wire line. That would make a mess of braid. Anyway, it is in tip top shape inside, over oiled but that has all been cleaned up (the drag was soaked, cleaned up fine - but I will get new washers). Other than that just dirty and dusty from sitting. All shiny and spiffy now. Will try it on the soccer field on the weekend after I spool it. You were right about the bearings, they do look like donuts. Quite unique.

Thanks