Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oneuglyfish

Can you eat Stargazer?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

My buddy went fishing today over by the inlet and caught a Stargazer while fishing. Last time he ever caught one was 8 years ago, so I'm assuming its a pretty rare right place at the right time kind of fish. Whenever I don't go fishing with him, he usually brings me fluke, bluefush and sometimes Sea Robin (Yeah I eat that sometimes confused.gif anyway, I just want to know if this thing is edible or not? I mean it is decent sized, looks like it has meat on it, I just want to know if I can eat it or not without getting some wacky sickness or poisoning (lol)

Anyone out there ever eat it or know if it is safe to eat? If so, what does it taste like? Thanks in advance

From what I read it is edible but I would consult the fish market first.

I have read online they are, so that is the extent of my knowledge on eating a stargazer.

They are very common though, and will reach up to 12 inches in length.

Welcome to the site!smile.gif

I have eaten them and they certainly get bigger than 12 "(my last one was 7lbs.) In my opinion they are delicious.

they call monkfish mock lobster from what ive briefly read they do have some venom in there spines so id handle them with caution about being edible they eat scorpion fish and many other similar fish although im not sure if i would mess with one