Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tikirak

right handed spinning vs left handed casting reels???

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Yrs ago you couldn' find a left hand Conventional so if you fished one you had no choice but to learn how to use it.

Even today the majority of the BC reels are right hand models ( Right hand retreve )

The reason is because Conventional reel has the cranking power to pull in the fish so your weak hand holds the rod. With a spinning reel your power hand holds the rod so you can pull the fish while your weak hand cranks, since a spinning reel does not have that same power as a conventional. I called VS and got that answer. It makes sense ever spinning reel I have ever got had the crank on the left side. I personal crank with right side with both Conventional and spinning and I am right handed.

View PostThe reason is because Conventional reel has the cranking power to pull in the fish so your weak hand holds the rod. With a spinning reel your power hand holds the rod so you can pull the fish while your weak hand cranks, since a spinning reel does not have that same power as a conventional. I called VS and got that answer. It makes sense ever spinning reel I have ever got had the crank on the left side. I personal crank with right side with both Conventional and spinning and I am right handed.

If the conventional has the power to pull in the fish then why would I need to use the stong hand to crank it? I would expect the opposite...

it's all about whatever FEELS BEST, feels "right" to you, no more or less. there is no right or wrong about what hand does the rod holding and what hand does the reel cranking.

i'm right handed and i ALWAYS have my crank on the LEFT side of the reel, whether spinner or revolving spool reel. this feels natural to me and my stronger right arm muscles are better employed at holding the rod during casting and fighting fish. cranking is easier and less physical than pumping the rod and holding the beast at bay. smile.gif

View PostIf the conventional has the power to pull in the fish then why would I need to use the stong hand to crank it? I would expect the opposite...

the reel doesn't crank without you....if your car is being pulled from a ditch with a winch, do you want the one with a 5 hp motor or 50 hp motor? conventionals work the same smile.gif

View Postthe reel doesn't crank without you....if your car is being pulled from a ditch with a winch, do you want the one with a 5 hp motor or 50 hp motor? conventionals work the same smile.gif

50 hp of course, but a powerful winch I assume does not need your muscles more than 5 hp winch..That's why I use 50 HP so I don't need to push the car from behind. Same as conventional vs spinners. I work more muscles with a spinners than conventional and therefore I can use less power(weak hand) to pull a fish,smile.gif

View Post50 hp of course, but a powerful winch I assume does not need your muscles more than 5 hp winch..That's why I use 50 HP so I don't need to push the car from behind. Same as conventional vs spinners. I work more muscles with a spinners than conventional and therefore I can use less power(weak hand) to reel in a fish,smile.gif

doesn't NEED, but will work more efficient. if you had a manual winch, would you want to use your left or right hand?

I'm a lefty and I crank reels -- conventional, spinner, or side-caster -- with my right hand. Anything else feels awkward.

The idea of "powerful" reels is pretty far-fetched. Fish can be powerful but reels can't. Maybe that whole discussion probably should be in another thread.

View Postdoesn't NEED, but will work more efficient. if you had a manual winch, would you want to use your left or right hand?

I will use the strong hand, so explain why in a spinning reel I use the weak hand...

View PostThe reason is because Conventional reel has the cranking power to pull in the fish so your weak hand holds the rod. With a spinning reel your power hand holds the rod so you can pull the fish while your weak hand cranks, since a spinning reel does not have that same power as a conventional. I called VS and got that answer. It makes sense ever spinning reel I have ever got had the crank on the left side. I personal crank with right side with both Conventional and spinning and I am right handed.

then why are most small FW baitcasters right handed retrieve? They clearly are not for cranking power