Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Littlefoot14

Anyone know anything about goldfish.

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I won some goldfish at the fair and since i always thought itd be cool to have fish, i figured id try and make them last, even though with them coming from the fair im not expecting much.

I had 5 in the one tank which i knew was to much but i got home from the fair late. They spent last night and today in the one tank, i switched out about half the water because it was looking cloudy. I now have 3 in the bigger tank and 2 in the medium sized one. The medium sized tank is probaly 11inx5in. The bigger one is probably 16x6.5in. The medium sized tank is glass and the other is plastic. I took water out of the big tank to put into the little one so each one had about half the original water. I matched the water i put in as best as i could, its really pretty close, the smaller tank is alittle bit cooler but not by much. I live in the village so i have soft water. I put the 2 fish that looked the most alike in the same tank. The fill on the bottom is a mix of black and white where in the old one it was all black. When i put them in the tank, one fish started swimming around, the other one just pretty much stopped. They are both swimming around fine now though. I guess what im asking is what else can i do to make the fish more comfortable. Please dont tell me a bigger tank, i already know that, its on the list for tommorow.

Are snails or suckers better for cleaning tanks?

This is a short term thing, theyll go in my grandmas landscaping pond eventually.

Goldfish are a dirty fish. They poop every 7minutes. That is why you need big tank for 5.

My kids have 3. It takes a while to stabilize the tank.

They're carp. They eat **** and they create more **** after they digest it. They eat, ****, and die. That's their life cycle.

View PostSpray paint em, callem koi.

Sell for big bucks.

Use money to buy a real aquarium with real fish.cwm40.gif

Got one that would pass as a koi.

How big of a tank should i be getting. Im expecting about 3 to survive. Is 20 gallon enough?

View PostGot one that would pass as a koi.

How big of a tank should i be getting. Im expecting about 3 to survive. Is 20 gallon enough?

10 is enough for 3, for a very long time! Good filter is a necessity unless you keep 5-8 gallons of water at the ready to swap every 2 weeks or so.

View Post10 is enough for 3, for a very long time! Good filter is a necessity unless you keep 5-8 gallons of water at the ready to swap every 2 weeks or so.

So if i go to like 15 i should be fine for all 5?

View PostGoldfish are a dirty fish. They poop every 7minutes. That is why you need big tank for 5.

My kids have 3. It takes a while to stabilize the tank.

Amen. We have had a number over the years when my daughter was little. I finally found the best setup for little $$ was one of those mini aquariums. Comes in a kit and the water kept pretty well. I still had to periodically drain and clean the gravel. Watch out for sunlight hitting the tank, as green algae was a problem almost impossible to eradicate. I've kept tropicals in various size tanks since a kid....but goldfish are just so dirty...wow!

Lots of work, and my aquarium days are OVER!

10 gallon per gold fish, keep the water about 65-70 degrees, no warmer, 60 would be prefered but 65-70 is easy at room temp. put about 3" of gravel in the bottom and lets say you have a 30 gallon tank (or the common 29 gallon kit sold at wallyworld) get a HOB filter (hang on back filter) that will circulate about 150 gallons per hour (5X turn over per hour), add a bubbler to cool the water a little more, throw some plastic plants in and your good.

feed them Goldfish Flakes twice a day and dried or frozen krill every now and then, like once a week, to give them bright colors.

if you want an algea eater, stay away from the chinese algea eater (little gold guys that stick to the glass) get a pleco, preferable a dwarf pleco but the regular $6.99 ones will do, but they get big. mines about 14" in a 55 and still growing. had him about 6 years.

Goldfish (and any fish that doesn't breath atmospheric air) need surface area (water exposed to the air) more so than gallons of water. More water against the air equals more CO2 exchanged for oxygen. They like to breath.

20 gallon low is the minimum I'd use (there's a 20 gallon "high" but it has less surface area); 30 gallon would be better. A 29 gallon would only be marginally better than a 20 low (same footprint as 20 gallon "low" equals same surface area).

You'll need filters. As much as you can get without creating a current that you'd find in a jetty. Bubbles are good because that helps CO2 escape.

Goldfish don't necessarily need heat, but they'll do better if the water temp remains somewhat constant. If the room temperature fluctuates greatly from day to night, a heater may help keep the water temperature more steady. Despite a justified fear of electricity & water, a submersible heater is much more reliable and safer than a hang on the back kind.

Fish from a fair are often weak & diseased because of poor handling. Expect "ick" to break out (looks like salt on their fins), but if you're lucky it won't.

Store water for water changes in a 5 gallon bucket overnight or long enough for it to reach room temperature (assuming your tank isn't heated). You can use dechlorinator if your water is chlorinated, but it'll likely evaporate out if you leave the water sit overnight.

Feed sparingly. Fish always look hungry. More food will just require a water change sooner. It takes a surprisingly long time to starve a fish, especially goldfish because as has been mentioned, they're carp and will be feeding on algae & gunk in the gravel that you can't even see.

-cdm

^^^ for filters, in my son's 10 gal tank we use a behind the wall system and and undergravel air system.

For small tanks the undergravel helps keep particels in the gravel and not suspended in the water.

You don't need algae eaters, as the goldfish like to pick. Most algae eaters will outgrow small tanks quickly

Thanks for the help so far guys. Theyre still swimming, im sorta amazed i expected to have to flush one by now.

What about the whole gulping air thing? Is it because of the PH level or is it just something they do?