Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ponycarp51

spool on penn conventionals

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have an early 80's jigmaster w/red alum spool. With the left side bearing tightened as much as I can comfortably do by hand, the spool still has alot of side to side play in it. New bearing time or is it something else? thx.

View PostI have an early 80's jigmaster w/red alum spool. With the left side bearing tightened as much as I can comfortably do by hand, the spool still has alot of side to side play in it. New bearing time or is it something else? thx.

Usually the red spools are plastic. And you are supposed to have some side to side play in the spool! Bring it to an authorized Penn repair shop or send it to Philadelphia for questions and servicing. You are never supposed to tighten that bearing that tight!heart.gif

First question did you get the reel with this problem or did it gradually or just occur????Are you sure is is a penn spool?? not an accurate (kit) or a tiburon?? I had a reel(accurate conv. with plates and frame) come to me with that prob. and i pulled the bearing out and placed a shim beneath it.highfive.gif Ohh yea on the accurate conv. there is a left and right bearing.

If its a "Red Annodized" spool its a OEM Penn item. Sold for a short time. Your problem is probably a worn bearing. Call Scotts BT or Penn service not all that much to replace.

Did Jigmasters have bearings or bushings? I think they all had bushings. But I could be wrong. Red aluminum spool... very snappy looking set-up. Had one. nice.