Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little

Who wants to revue/rec a rod for me?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Broke my favorite rock hopping spinner. I was battling the fish of a career in the rocks-hopping from rock to rock, in the dark, fog, lightning all around me. Battery on my head light dead-almost spooled when..................naah I shut the Jeeps rear window on it.beatin.gif

MDM sold it to me. It was an 8'6" St Croix. I grew to really like it, had just enough touch to throw a 6 inch unweighted sluggo or a little jig or plastic, but had enough range to toss some decent size stuff and it had the butt action of twice the rod. 2 pc (yes I COULD have taken it apart to put in the truck, but noooooo).

i am probably going to order another one real soon, but I was wondering if I was missing out on something else.

Any really good recommendations for something in that range to look at? 2 pc a must.

St. Croix has really nailed it some of the 8'6" surf rods they've made. As you mentioned, very, very few other rods have the effective lure weight range of the St. Croix when you consider the overall power they have.

I can't think of any that jump out ahead.

Obviously st croix makes several rods models in that length, 3 that come to mind-not sure of name is for musky and steel head in a 2 pc. Model # WS86HF2 I own one and it cast lures, and plugs comfort range up to 2oz- great feel and power. although considered a fresh water rod, it handles albies & decent size stripers and blues.

the 2nd one is a St croix premier surf, lots of back bone, can handle the biggest striper, largest blue fish, throw some eels and chunk. matched with a decent size reel will cast the distance from new castle over to the shoals and back. Perfect for surf casting in waves or wind IMO.

the 3rd is a tidemaster, light weight, great feel, casting abilty. I own a 7.5 footer and have caught stripers in the 40-45inch range.

If I had to own one rod it would be a tidemaster, not ideal for throwing heavy lures 3-4 oz, nor large hunks of chunk bait, but great for sight fishing.

keep in mind all of these rods have lure ranges, I will say that all can handle heavier than whats listed without over subscribing the rod itself-with the right technique.

Which ever brand Loomis, shimano or St croix you decide on, get a IM& or IM8 blank. More of these rods break because of car doors mad.gif than for any other reason- buy a ski rack!

Good luck.

View PostTheres a nive 8 10 batson on BST right now for 125.00 plus ship

JW- the rod T is referring to is a Batson SW 1087.... not two piece, but should fit in a car fine..... mine does.

its my favorite rod, light enough to fish all night without pain.....

plenty of backbone..... I had Ziggy build it for me a few years back, and its the rod i reach for almost every time im not jigging or plugging the canal that requires like 11 ft....

for rocks/sand in NH its the nuts

View PostThey might give you a credit towards a new 9' legend. Call em and ask. I have a shipping tobe you can have.

Unfortunately, the trade up program is for undamaged rods only. However, it is very much worth calling the warranty dept and asking what they can do for you. A straight up replacement may be way less than you think. In fact, you could just take the rod to the nearest St. Croix dealer, (KTP?), then ask them to send it back for you. The shipping costs/hassles tend be less than doing it yourself, plus you should end up with a replacement for much less than retail.

View PostJW- the rod T is referring to is a Batson SW 1087.... not two piece, but should fit in a car fine..... mine does.

its my favorite rod, light enough to fish all night without pain.....

plenty of backbone..... I had Ziggy build it for me a few years back, and its the rod i reach for almost every time im not jigging or plugging the canal that requires like 11 ft....

for rocks/sand in NH its the nuts

Hmmmmmmm.......

step up to the st croix avid series. I bought the 8'6" towards the end of last season (a brown finish) and I really like it for ledge fishing. It's better suited for 7.5" - 9 " slugoos instead of the 6" but if you could fish the 6" sluggos with the premiere line you'll be able to do the same with these. They are lighter with more sensitivity. But they cost a bit more too. Drop the coin and consider it insurance against clumsy accidents wink.gif

Know what? I am going to order the same rod. I've been tossing stuff with that rod for years, I know that rod like the back of my hand.

Thanks for the input nonetheless.

Let me also note that the advice I have gotten here is fantastic, I always learn something here, but damned if it doesn't always end up costing me a lot of money!

I'd vote for an 8' st croix. A little shorter, but it's 1-piece, which is a huge plus in my book. I have the 8' premier and legend, and both are great and can comfortably throw anything from a 6" sluggo to 3 oz pencil, and a lot more if you're careful. You could also try the new 8' mojo. I haven't fished the mojo series yet, but they're reasonably priced like the premiers, and I've heard very good things about them.

If you broke the tip section you can get a new one from St. Croix for $50 I think. Much better deal than buying a whole new rod.

Have the same rod and agree with everything stated. good backbone, decent for the lighter stuff and can throw more than the rating pretty easily.

Kittery Trading Post just got a bunch more of the St. Croix Mojo's in (seems like no one else can get them). They feel like sweet rods but I haven't fished one. The guys on the Cape are going nutty for them.