Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chicostan

Discussion: Was I too harsh.

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

This was my response to a fly fishing shop's online shopping page

----

Your online store says "One day a customer came into the store, looked at the reel counter, and said that we carry all the "good stuff." "

What you carry is all the stuff that costs $200 more than it should due to all the money put into advertising. Like a Sage reel or a Hardy reel. They are made in South Korea!! And yet they cost $700?? How much of that is for the little letters 'S' 'A' 'G' 'E'??

If this is what people are buying, great. But what I see people buying is Allen Flyfishing Trout reels, barstock, on sale for $60 (for the trout), the XL is on special for $70, for a review of the XL see

---

Or Colton fly reels. Do a search for them, and look at the people that are raving about these reels. These are saltwater big game people catching Marlin, Tuna, etc. Colton's are made in the USA, use the same drag material as hatch. Even the crg2 2 wt and 4 wt which are just $110 are made for saltwater, are barstock, and have a delrin drag!!

The Torrent is Colton Fly Companys latest creation. Almost three years of design work went into this fly reel. We set out to build a high quality fly reel that would rival the big name manufacturers at a fraction of the price. Mission accomplished! Say hello to the Torrent Series. These reels are quite possibly the most powerful fly reels on the market today. Producing up to 18 pounds of drag power. Thats more than twice the power of some the most expensive reels available. These fly reels were designed for a serious fight. Bring on the Tuna and Makos because this reel is up to the challenge!

All the reels in the Torrent series are cut from 6061 T-6 bar stock aluminum and are type II anodized for maximum durability. The drag surface of the Torrent is made up of stacked PTFE Rulon discs, a material rather new to the fly reel industry that has unbelievable tolerances. Rulon is rated for CONSTANT operating temperature ranging from 400*F to 550*F and has zero water absorption! Rulon is by far a better drag surface choice over carbon fiber and cork. The Torrent also uses a self-lubricating bronze bushing with an oversized stainless steel spindle for rotation. This system is also completely maintenance free! The drag is activated by a Quad pawl Delrin coated Titanium ring. This engagement system is impervious to extreme cold and extreme heat. No Free Spooling to worry about on this reel. All in all you have a reel that is built to last for generations at an affordable price. You grand children will enjoy them when the time comes. So if you have been dreaming about throwing flies at big game fish but have been deterred by the big game prices now is your chance! Torrent Features

• Stacked Rulon disc drag

• Quad radial pawl engagement with Delrin coated Titanium

• Quick release spool

• Zero startup inertia

• Type II anodized

• Precision CNC machined 6061 T-6 bar stock aluminum

• Oversized machined Delrin handle

• No tools required for left to right hand conversion

• Incoming and outgoing click

• Most powerful drag available today

• Designed and built in the U.S.A.

• Lifetime warranty

• Available Colors: Gloss Black and Gunsmoke Silver
ModelLineDiameterWeightCapacityReelSpoolT-7897-93.75 in9.6 ozWF8 = 215$289.00$120.00T-8108-104.0 in10.7 ozWF9 = 265$299.00$125.00T-111311-134.5 in11.3 ozWF12 = 325$325.00$145.00T-131513-154.75 in12.0 ozWF14 = 465$345.00$165.00

PS: I know you will reply "well we carry the Ross WOrldwide for just $110. It has the same drag as the ...."Comparing a Die cast reel to a barstock reel? A barstock reel with rulon stacked drag whose drag has 18 pounds of drag dead weight, which has been proven on huge sal****er fish? People are buying quality Barstock reels whose value IS IN THE REEL, not the label on the reel. They are buying Allen FLy Fishing Barstock reels for $60-$70, they are buying colton, whose crg2 reels in 2 wt and 4 wt are just $110!!Todays 5 wt reel is $60 -$110, $60 for a barstock reel with quality drag to handle any trout or steelhead, and $110 for a tough as heck reel that will reliably handle the salt, and whose drag is made for 300 pound saltwater monsters!

1st let me say Welcome Aboard. I see your a New Member.

Bob AKA foulhook the owner of Colton is a long time Member here on SOL & most if not all the Fly Fishing guy's know him or know of his reels.

They are a Great Reel at a Great Price. I own the Torrent 810 & am very happy with it.

He also makes a nice line of Rods.

I also heard he has some nice hat's although I haven't seen them yet!! beatin.gifcwm27.gif

View PostThey wouldn't sell it if someone wasn't buying. Way of the world. Why get worked up about it? Let your wallet do the talking. Buy what you want.

I am not worked up, don't worry. And you do not have to go far to find out that for lots of shops, people AREN'T buying, and they have gone out of business. We as consumers are guilted into buying this crap, payin $200 just for the label!! because if we don't, our local shop "will go out of business". And going out of business is what they are doing. So I as a customer spoke up.

Letting our wallets do the talking isn't good enough, it has been too successfull and now we don't have fly shops!! Now if we speak up and they do not listen, well then I guess that is their own fault.

Thanks Stan. I needed to hear the Colton pitch again. It had been a few days. I especially liked the preamble before you started listing all the Colton specs. Classy.

View PostThanks Stan. I needed to hear the Colton pitch again. It had been a few days. I especially liked the preamble before you started listing all the Colton specs. Classy.

I am glad you brought that up...I was thinking it.

View PostThanks Stan. I needed to hear the Colton pitch again. It had been a few days. I especially liked the preamble before you started listing all the Colton specs. Classy.

cwm27.gif

View PostI'm most intrigued by the fact that, at least on my screen, the word saltwater appears to be a bad word.

Ha...just figured it out...salTWATer....smile.gif

I was just thinking I hadn't heard Colton mentioned in several months. Hmm guess I must have missed some stuff. By the way I have no idea who the OP is and was pretty surprised to see the content when I clicked in here. Honestly a post like that hurts more than it helps.

Carry on....Be sure not to mention TFO, Orvis, or Thomas and Thomas in here eithersmile.gif

Consumer choice and the decision you make as a consumer are key - heck I have bought overpriced crap - not just fishing tackle!

I am in the market for a new set of reels and considering Colton ...

you bring up a great point. People are enchanted by great marketing. Things that look glossy and brilliant can have a higher price tag even if they fall apart in 1 year, as opposed to something built like a tank and looks like a....tank, and preforms like one.

People are aesthetically driven.

View Postyou bring up a great point. People are enchanted by great marketing. Things that look glossy and brilliant can have a higher price tag even if they fall apart in 1 year, as opposed to something built like a tank and looks like a....tank, and preforms like one.

People are aesthetically driven.

That can be true but I do think the original poster is being a bit harsh. I also think that many fly fishing products that are high priced such as high end reels typically do not fall apart. At least I don't see it. Most high end reels will last several lifetimes of hard use. I'm not so sure an Allen fly reel will be around for my grandkids to fish them.

Not sure where you shop but plenty of people I know still buy high end reels. I can say when I go travel and fish for more demanding fish, no one I know fishes with Allen fly fishing reels. Of course more people will buy the moderate and low priced reels. I remember when I first started fly fishing and got a $49 fly fishing outfit at Wal Mart. Worked fine for a while till I tried a graphite fly rod by Cortland and found out it cast a LOT better yet it was $99, twice the price of my "complete" value fly fishing outfit. Yet it cast sooo much better it was easily worth the purchase price.

You mention Allen reels being $60 and bar stock. Well, there is bar stock and there is bar stock. What material exactly? What are the tolerances? How is there carbon drag designed? These days anyone with access to a machine shop can make a reel. It takes a bit more to make a good reel - witness Colton Torrent that took 3 years of development IIRC. Nothing wrong with a new startup making reels, Colton certainly was a startup a few years ago. That's how Abel, Tibor, Seamaster, Charlton, etc started out. There were hundreds of them at one time. Most have fallen by the wayside due to poor design. As simple as a fly reel is, it takes a fair amount of testing and development to make one that works for the long haul. It's why Colton and Mako took 3 years from concept to production.

People will buy what they want. The marketplace dictates what is fairly priced and what is not. From what I understand there is still a 2-3 month backlog for Mako reels and this is 2 years after they were introduced. People are willing to pay for a real quality product. There's a reason why Allen reels can be had for half price. When a stock drops down to 50% of it's original value, there's a reason for it and it ain't cause it's become a great bargain. It's become a dog. I'd be real leary of products that sell at 50% of retail, is it because no one will buy it at retail?

I've not fished one but I hear Colton makes a great product and kudos to them for bringing a great product to market for a great price. TFO went down that road a few years back and seem to have gotten that formula down pat.

I agree that a Koren made product marketed under the SAGE name should not be $700 and I won't pay that much for something mass produced there. But then you have the American made reels like Tibor, Abel, Mako and German made Henschel. All handmade (or as close to handmade as you can get in this age of CNC) in countries where you have to pay real American wages and not foreign wages (nothing wrong with offshoring production IMHO but then the price should reflect the cost savings, not the "name" attached to it). Have you seen how complicated and well built a Mako reel is? I can lay it down next to my other high end reels and even a novice who cares not a whit for fly fishing equipment like my wife can easily pick out which reel is better built. All my high end reels will most likely be fished by my grandkids and great grandkids. They will last. That $49 outfit's reel hasn't lasted. When I go to some exotic locale I also want to KNOW that reel will not fail me. When I spend upwards of $25K a year on traveling around the world fishing I don't plan on skimping with a $60 fishing reel from some startup reel company. Want to know what pissed off would be? Spending $8k on a trip and be stuck without a fly reel because they failed on you battling some big fish.

Also brings out another facet of equipment purchasing. Pride of ownership. You can be practical and all but for many there is also pride of ownership. It's nice to have something nice - period. Do I really need a $90,000 sports car? Not really but it sure is nice to drive around a nice car. Nice to have 800 hp on tap but in all practicality all I really *need* is a Honda Accord with 200 hp. It's nice to know I will pass on reels that one day may become family heirlooms like my Charlton reels collection. I doubt an Allen reel will be that family heirloom.

PS I'm not trying to beat up on Allen reels, it just happened to be in the OP's post. For all I know they may produce a great product. Buy what you like, buy what you can afford. I'm not here to tell anyone what to buy, but I am here to say that someone who spends $700 on a fly reel, if he carefully selects his purchase, is not getting ripped off and should instead shop for a $60 reel. It all comes down to needs and wants. I need a good reel because when I hook into that big marlin in Cabo, I want a good reel hooked up to it, not a 50% off $60 reel.

My guess would be the retailer opened the OP's e-mail saw how long it was and hit the delete button after reading a few lines. wink.gif

Then went back to filling orders and trying to make a living.