Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheSpaniard

Shad around jetty tips?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

So, I have noticed what appear to be smaller(6-10") shad jumping around at the ends of a couple jetty's I fish. I would love to have a pair of goggles and see if anything was down there after them. From the surface it appears not and you never hear much about people using or live-lining shad.

Should I be investigating this more or is this just a normal occurrence this time of the year?

John

Problem with livelining shad is that you need a damned big fish to tackle it.

Good thing about livelining shad is that if there is a damned big fish nearby - you'll catch it.

Sea herring or Hickory shad. They are around this time of year especially in SRI. If you were fishing around SRI then your chances of either species coming out of there must have migrated around the jetty tips. Their abundant in SJ as of now and they are on the move to the north.

View PostProblem with livelining shad is that you need a damned big fish to tackle it.

Good thing about livelining shad is that if there is a damned big fish nearby - you'll catch it.

Normally when I see shad they are pretty big but these guys were on the smaller side with most being about 6-8" and some around 10". They were more long and thin also. It looked like they were feeding on something small as they were flipping and jumping a lot during the last 2 hours of the outgoing. I didn't catch any so I can't tell if they were shad or herring but they were def striper candy size. I just haven't caught any stripers on those jetty's for a while now and was wondering if something would be lurking down there from someones experience.

John

whenever i see shad (usually mixed in the baby blues) this late in the season at the mouth of an inlet, usually they are the biggest fish (predator) breaking the surface for rainfish, that get taken out with the tide.... there's usually nothing bigger pressuring the shad... but i guess it doesn't hurt to try... been there and done that... after a couple hours livelining with nothing to show for it, i kinda figured it out...wink.gif then i just switched back to catching shad for fun...