Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snoryder

Permit Question

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I am a non resident and for me to fish salt water I need to buy a marine license, no probs there. If I want to fish the gateway national park or any other park, say the Jones beach area, sorry don't know the name, I need to buy a fishing permit? Is that correct?

For ex, I want to fish the bridge at cross bay blvd or marine pkwy drive or jacob riis. Do I need a permit?

10 bucks for a 7 day non resident salt water license plus 50 bucks for the gateway permit.

Is it worth it this time of the year?

Thanks

View PostI am a non resident and for me to fish salt water I need to buy a marine license, no probs there. If I want to fish the gateway national park or any other park, say the Jones beach area, sorry don't know the name, I need to buy a fishing permit? Is that correct?

For ex, I want to fish the bridge at cross bay blvd or marine pkwy drive or jacob riis. Do I need a permit?

10 bucks for a 7 day non resident salt water license plus 50 bucks for the gateway permit.

Is it worth it this time of the year?

Thanks

Gateway is a federal national park and Jones beach is a state park. Two different permit requirements.

As far as Gateway, permits only needed for parking in designated spots, you can avoid those spots and still get to the fishing areas with ease. Save your money on the permit. You can no longer fish off the marine parkway bridge. To fish cross bay bridge @ cross bay just park in one of the two parking lots on the south side of the bridge and walk up no permit needed. If you want to fish riis park. Park in the main lot $5, I believe, leave nothing valuable visible and walk to the beach, you can only fish there after the lifeguards leave.

If your coming wait till beginning of September. Pickings off the shore have been very slim.

PM me when your coming and I will help you get to the spots you want to fish in Gateway.

J

Thanks for the info. I'm leaving Sat morning but I'll probably come back in the fall. I really want to get into some stripers on my spey rod.

I googled the area and seen the parking lots. Is it a waste of time now? Maybe I'll just do the party boat thing. What are your thoughts going evening time for blues and stripers on these boats. Do they go far? rough seas? or am I better off bottom fishing for bass or porgies.

Thanks

A) $15.00 for a non-resident license for the year

B) Yes, not the greatest time of year to flyfish for Stripers from the beach

C) There are still fish around though, best to fish low-light or night, dusk/dawn

D) Fall is where it's at

View Post

C) There are still fish around though, best to fish low-light or night, dusk/dawn

D) Fall is where it's at

X's 2, first or last light, or night.

IMO, bring a rod and throw a few lines off the Rockaway beaches, you never know.

Don't do party boats, but I'm sure if you want to run into fish you'll have better chances in deeper water, very hot around these parts. If you want to keep your kids entertained bring a snapper rig. They are around Gateway.

J

I'll pay the 15 bucks, not worth the hassle. But I'm still confused cause, I spoke with a clerk from the gateway and she told me I would need to check in at the Ranger station before the crossbay bridge. Show them my gear and pay the 50 bux. Looking at the map, everything inside the bay belongs to the national park. I hope I'm wrong, cause I really don't want to spend 50 bux for a permit. If it is only a permit to park in the fishing area, then I'm cool, I'll park in the public beach area and walk to the surf. So confused...

View Post So confused...

You do not need a permit to fish the areas you want to fish unless you want to park in designated areas. Do not pay the $50 for the Gateway permit. Do as I offered in my previous post, pm with a phone # when in the area I will give you some guidance and they'll be confusion no moreconfused.gif .

J