Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sea Of Atlas

Depths vs. Current

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I've been plying some of the beaches at night and its been slim pickin's. I've been fishing live eels very slow. I assume deeper water or river currents would be more of an attraction versus the sand bars. I wonder if I should concentrate more on outgoing river currents or deeper holes near rock ledges. Also curious if there is a certain minimum depth that I should look for during hot and humid summer weather. Any advice?

Lately, I have had the best luck fishing on top of the sandbars with small swimming plugs like a mambo minnow.

Fish are munching sandeels and just cruising. Slim pickens is right, fish aren't stacking up anymore with any kind of regularity. Summer doldrum time I guess.

To answer your specific question, I like to target the slow moving areas directly next to fast moving water (rips) and fish the areas where the depth changes rapidly (rips).

I like to fish rips. Especially letting an eel drift out of fast moving water into slower water or over depth changes. Baitrunners or clickers on a casting reel help to work the reel more efficiently.

At low tide I like to get on the sand bars fish the edges of the bars.

At high tide, due to the change in depth, rips will form all over and around the sand bars, so I fish as close as I can get to the rips and the channels formed at the beginning and end of the bars.

I should mention these tactics work in the dark. I don't fish during the day because I think the fish don't come in the shallows unless there is bait to hold them.

View PostLately, I have had the best luck fishing on top of the sandbars with small swimming plugs like a mambo minnow.

Fish are munching sandeels and just cruising. Slim pickens is right, fish aren't stacking up anymore with any kind of regularity. Summer doldrum time I guess.

To answer your specific question, I like to target the slow moving areas directly next to fast moving water (rips) and fish the areas where the depth changes rapidly (rips).

I like to fish rips. Especially letting an eel drift out of fast moving water into slower water or over depth changes. Baitrunners or clickers on a casting reel help to work the reel more efficiently.

View PostAt low tide I like to get on the sand bars fish the edges of the bars.

At high tide, due to the change in depth, rips will form all over and around the sand bars, so I fish as close as I can get to the rips and the channels formed at the beginning and end of the bars.

I should mention these tactics work in the dark. I don't fish during the day because I think the fish don't come in the shallows unless there is bait to hold them.

Great info here. Thanks TimmyB

Thanks again. I am following many of the principles you mentioned. Low tide sandbars, rips and deep holes. Might be a lack of bait in the area I am targetting. I fish almost exclusively in the night or low light periods. I guess I will try the flood tide and also mix up the places that I am frequenting. Figure I should be able to get proficient enough to avoid a skunking most nights.