Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurfCrazy

Mahi - question

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I am planning a trip to Marathon to fish for some Mahi in late May 2011. I want to build a rod. What is the best rod to have that I can team up with a VS200....6', 7' 8'?? I have no idea so any advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way this will be from a boat.

thanks

surfcrazy

What is your plan? Are you looking to catch chickens when they are thick on small chunks or tipped jigs? Or are you planning on targeting larger fish below weed lines and floating objects on lures?

our plan is to fish a weed line or some floating objects that are holding some bait. The plan is to target 25lb - 50lb fish. I believe he told me that we would be trolling until we find them and when we do we can see how big the school is in size / lbs. I think we will be throwing some chunks at them when we do find them but I HATE fishing bait. I want to throw some lures on fairly light tackle. I want to stay away from the chickens.

thanks for the help

I fish NC but assume that the same tactics are used in FL. We use light tackle 6-7 ft rods with a 3-4 ft fluorocarbon leader of 20-30lb and a circle hook with squid when the smaller ones are thick. When given the chance to sight cast I like a larger bucktail on a seven foot rod, but have really wanted to try some wooden lures on them. Structure can be hard to find but most of the time it has a good fish on it. I would assume that you are most likely going to cast to smaller ones that swarm the spread, but the captin will have gear for that. If I was you I would build a 1-4 oz range 7 foot rod that you could throw larger lures at structure and bigger fish if you find any. Just let the captin know that casting to some fish is something that you are interested in doing. Most of the larger fish are taken while trolling and most people troll weed lines to cover more area. The weed lines can be thick and wide making sight casting difficult. Hope this helps.