Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
castinthesurf

being new to fly fishing

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

okay so let me say this another way. I hand tie my leaders going from 40 lbs to 10 lbs flurocarbon. I was wondering if any body has caught fish using no tippet and maybe 2 feet of leader or less. i don't have any problem yet in my small experience but i always look for inovation in all my fishing.

I use a straight shot of mono, 20, 25 or 30#, about 7.5 feet long. That's it.

I've been doing it for years.

There have had no complaints from the stripers. :-)

Easiest system and not too expensive in long run is to buy few tapered leaders and steel tippet rings. 7'6'' to 9ft 30lbs leader with 1/8''/45lbs ring is good size for salt and 20lbs with 5/64''/25lbs ring for lighter fishing. Those strengths so you do not always break fly line if you snag to rocks etc and have to break free.

Then you can buy few sizes of fluorocarbon (or nylon) tippet material and tye 2ft or so of it to tippet ring. Use Uni-knot to tippet ring (best to use UK knot glue when tying the ring) and perfection loop to thick end of leader with glue also.

I do not believe fluoro fishes any better than nylon but fluoro is hard and does not scratch when it touches rocks etc. And it is cheaper to use fluoro tippet only and your tapered leaders does not shorten at all. With same 20lbs or 30lbs leader you can use as thin tippets as you want to fish small flys or whenever conditions need.

And side/dropper leader is convenient to tye to tippet ring. When you need to sink fly tye length of thin mono where you put weight so often you loose just only the weight and still can fish bottom effectively.