Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Limey

Surfmaster Bearings

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hello Guys,

Limey from the UK here. Just a quick question for you all.

I'm running a pair of Penn 100 Surfmasters with alloy spools and a home done mag conversion mounted on 13' all carbon surf rods rated for 4 - 8 0z sinkers. I'm throwing a 6 oz lead and bait about 140 yards. I have a small ammount of end float in the spool.

I like the reels as they hold a fair ammount of 25lb nylon and have a powerful gear ratio. I also like the fact that the bearings can be removed, cleaned and lubed without the need to take the reel apart (unlike the right bearing of a squidder).

The bearings on the reels seem to rattle and knock when cast hard. I clean and lube the bearings after each session and add extra oil sometimes whilst fishing. I've tried grease and varying viscosity oil. New bearings are fine for a short while but then seem to loosen and rattle.

The question is, am I asking a bit much from the bearings to perfom like a modern ball bearing race? Also are there any better quality bearings available anywhere on your side of the pond?

Another puzzle that I have is a Surfmaster 200 (acquired as 'spares or repair') where the spool sits too far into the right side. I have swapped the bearings for new and tried a spare spool. Any ideas?

Tight lines all.

Limey

hi Limey,

bearings are available in graded manufacturing tolerances called ABEC ratings (1, 3, 5, 7, 9). High ABEC rated bearings allow optimal performance of applications requiring very high RPM and smooth operation.

Check your current bearing rating and replace them if they are worn. the rating should be on the sheild on the side.

McMaster-Carr is where i order from.

Check the sticky up top for more info about bearings.

Hi, from the former dominion. SMB bearings dot etc. right in the UK may be a better option for you. The Royal Mail rates in-country will be be less than importation. They have both inch, and metric brgs.

Yanqui companies Boca Bearings / VXB bearings have good selections, should the pricing be better abroad than domestic, even after stamps. Love the VAT. ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to reply chaps.

I've probably bowled you a bit of a googly (a curve ball on your shores)

The bearings are actually bushes that come as a single unit that screw into the reel side plates so the new bush unit would need to match the spool spindle and the side plate thread. I didn't know if accurate or newell did something. Is there something you can recommend?

The problem we have here is that a lot of the fishing calls for long distance casting just to get out to the few fish that are actually left. This seems to fry the bearings inside a few dozen casts. The modern Japanese reels with ball bearings and integral brakes do a great job that but I love the old Penns because I can service and tune them myself.

I don't want to give up on the Surfmasters as I always wanted one as a kid (I got the two I have for free) but the pocket money (allowence) wouldn't run to it. I got stuck with a steel spooled Seaboy that reduced my thum to a burnt stump.

Any ideas appreciated.

Off to bed as the beers have soaked in. cwm33.gif

Tight lines all.

Limey

newell used to make a plastic / ceramic bushing you should look for those on ebay or someplace like that you should really stick with the squidder for better distance just MHO good luck , Joe