Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EugeneChoe

looks to be a musso darter....maybe?

9 posts in this topic

im having trouble putting my finger on it, but now i want to saw musso. i originally bought it as a used beachmaster but something about it was not right, mainly the size and profile compared to beachmaster darters. i took a closer look and compared it to a old 3 ounce musso and it fit just about perfectly. i even took some pichney and other mussos as well as beachmasters. i even thought maybe someone else may have done it but after comparing and more cross comparing it seemd to be a musso. the body was a shoe in the tapering on both ends the angle cuts, the way it was cut and edged the lip all matched up. so maybe someone did an incredible job duping it or maybe a repaint, so i checked the paint. the paint was close to the way some of my other white mussos were the finish too. even the chin splash had the consistancy of my other mussos. what was weird and was that i found what looked like "paint pits" on one side of the lure, so i looked at some other mussos and surprisingly a few of my mussos had this same characteristic on the same side as the one in question. everything from the body and paint and the little idiosyncrasies all matched up very well.

i know musso did white lures with no eyes, but i have never seen a white musso darter (or any color musso darter) without the eyes and this didnt have the normal musso lure red eye with sticker.

the only thing that was really strange about the lure was the nose loop and the little bit of paint missing around it. the tail look close but ive never seen a musso with the nose loop in this manner. so im thinking it may have been rewired by someone with a good level of exp and skill, which would explain the funny nose loop and the missing paint around it.

so in conclusion imho using other mussos as well as bms and dps, it seems to be a musso darter that may have been rewired, i thinking this is an original musso darter with a rewire. im pretty sure but not 100% which is my reason for the post. i look forward to some more expert knowledge and opinion. thanks

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

i looked inside after someone clued me into the neatest thing. it turns out donny liked to make sure the grommets stayed put. i looked in and found an indent in one grommet that looked like other my other mussos and a large indent in the other that didnt look like anything in my other ones.

so this seems like a pichney steve bob? although the tapering characteristics r different could it be a beachmaster like i had bought? also could it be another builder that dupped this darter incredibly well? regardless of who made it it is well done but itd be nice to know since i have affinity to mussos and pichneys. theres a handful of peoples opinions i was looking for and u are two of em. thanks.

Danny did the same thing to his grommets. It's one of the best ways to confirm Pichneys and Mussos. Steve PS, Eugene, I have white and

yellow Pichney darters that look just like the top white one under mullet colored darter in top pic. Hoped this helped, Steve

hey steve, just in case...in the top pic the one in question is the middle one. the top white one is a pichney and the bottom of course an old musso. the mullet one is a beachmaster. thats why i was inquiring, the middle one closely resembles the bottom musso rather than the top pichney.