Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leatherface

Installing Video Surveillance

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Looking to install about 6 cameras around the outside of the house. Looking to use a color monitor as well as night vision cameras. Would like to have some sort of recorder that saves for about a week or so in case I go on vacation.

Any suggestions, tips, experiences??

Thanks a lot guys!

There are all kinds of systems out there, sometimes you get what you pay for.

On the commercial side, I have installed some Pelco gear with good results.

A 6 camera DVR system can run about $800 and up for good cameras with IR.Dont go wireless,because you will have to install it the same way as a wired system.Run the wires from were you want the camera then to its connection if its DVR or PCI capture card.You can use your computer to.Make shure you buy a system that comes with motion detection.You will save lots of HD space.

If you use your PC you can save about $400.00

This is funny,because iam hooking up the other half of my cameras as we speak.

Thanks.. I have plenty of computers, so I could use one specifically for that. I did plan on going hard-wired instead of wireless. Would I still need a separate unit or I could install a card in the back of my PC and run the cameras to that. I guess I would just need the correct software as well.

What model cameras are you using?

Q-see makes a capture card you can connect up to 16 cameras.Iam using Lorex cameras,and two capture cards with 3 RCA inputs on each.

This cameras night vision works good near a light.In total darkness you cant see much.

The more LED`s the better night vision.

I use this for my capture card.

--

Last you will need motion detection software.Lots of free stuff on the net.All ways test the camera before installing it.

My advice would be to get software that you can remotely access your camera's and watch them in real time too from another source (laptop phone etc) Digi watcher is what I have used however i'm sure they have better