Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlatsStalker

I need help with line for my baitcaster, PLEASE!

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I just got my dream (for now) setup, and I need a little advice as per line. I got a different answer from everyone in my local shop, so I turn to the pros here for help.

It's a Calcutta 201dc mounted on a Shimano Cumara 7'7". The reason for this setup was mainly because i wade and kayak fish predominantly, and I wanted maximum distance... Now, i have basically been told every single line you could think of, with Fireline Crystal coming up more than once. Keep in mind I'll be 95% chunking topwater in salt flats.

Any advice is VERY appreciated at this point.beers.gif

I do have experience with baicasters, just not the DC, but I figured it would give me an advantage if I decided to go with braid.

At this point I was thinking Fireline Crystal in 14 lb. test, cause the reel would hold around 200 yards of it.

Again, any opinion welcome and appreciated!

Keep in mind your dc reel will get splashed wading,and very wet on a yak.Braid on round reels and distance casting is either feast or famine.Mono or fireline is more stable.You didn't say what your fishing for or how big it is, but 14-20lb line covers most bases.If your pray is toothy a short 30-80 lb mono,or steel leader would help.I fish 2 round reels mostly off a yak, one has 65# braid,and one has 20# mono.Both cast well and take big fish.

I tried the crystal but went back to the smoke colored Fireline because I felt it was less visible. However, because you are fishing lighter water than I, you may prefer the crystal. You can consider going to 10# Fireline, as it breaks around 25#, and will improve your casting distance.

View PostI just got my dream (for now) setup, and I need a little advice as per line. I got a different answer from everyone in my local shop, so I turn to the pros here for help.

It's a Calcutta 201dc mounted on a Shimano Cumara 7'7". The reason for this setup was mainly because i wade and kayak fish predominantly, and I wanted maximum distance... Now, i have basically been told every single line you could think of, with Fireline Crystal coming up more than once. Keep in mind I'll be 95% chunking topwater in salt flats.

Any advice is VERY appreciated at this point.beers.gif

I do have experience with baicasters, just not the DC, but I figured it would give me an advantage if I decided to go with braid.

At this point I was thinking Fireline Crystal in 14 lb. test, cause the reel would hold around 200 yards of it.

Again, any opinion welcome and appreciated!

FS, you will enjoy casting Fireline Crystal much better than plain braid. There are 3 reasons for this.

1. It is a Shimano reel.

2. The levelwind guide is a post with a hole in it.

3. The freespool button is a bar that sticks out from one side.

When a cast is made with a light lure you will have some "fluf" of line. The levelwind guide will travel back and forth in front of the fluff and there will be a time a loose coil will go over the levelwind guide, and everything will come to a halt.

The same thing can happen to the freespool release since it also sticks out from one side and nothing can prevent soft, limp braid from going over these protrusions.

Any baitcaster with a post levelwind and a freespool release that sticks out from one side only will do the same.

It won't happen every day, but it will happen often enough that you will think it is your fault.

Just so you know, mono and Fireline can also do the same thing, but not near as much as plain braid, no matter who makes the braid. It is not a "brand" problem, it is a limpness problem.

Great advice guys, thanks.

My preference is really mono. Just an old school thing really. Especially on the flats. If I'm gonna hit some docks, or rocks, I'll use a spinning outfit with braid and a flouro leader. But mono is just easier (and cheaper).

I will predominantly be fishing for Redfish and Speckled Trout. There is the occasional chance of a Bluefish, Spanish Mackerel, Ladyfish, etc... But I do sight fish, so it's mostly Redfish in the 7-15 pound range. For the rest of the water column, there are always at least two other rods rigged and ready.

I spooled it up with some 12# mono that I had half a spool left laying around. SpiderWire XXX. It's OK casting, but I can tell there's more distance to be had. I also have some 8# Sufix Elite, which is as low as I will dare go on the flats, cause you just never know when that 35 incher decides your topwater is his breakfast. And I HATE losing lures due to line failure. For now, the FL braid will stay in the package, in case I need to swap it out for something else. But it seems 14-15# braid would be a perfect choice diameter wise to really launch a plug, and still have the confidence to put pressure on the fish

Thanks again guys. Tight Lines.